First Telescope

Hey guys. I'm a newbie from Malaysia (and will always be a newbie LOL). I own a 10x50 binocs and been using them for a month now.

Im considering to buy my first ever telescope in August and people always say the first telescope is the hardest decision ever. I can agree with that. I've been doing some research here and there and i've narrow down few newtonion telescopes that is within my budget. Need help from you guys to give some feedback and personal opinion on my selections. First hand review is very much welcome.  Here are my options;

1 - ORION StarBlast 4.5 EQ Reflector Telescope

2 - ORION SkyQuest XT4.5 Classic Dobsonian

3 - Celestron AstroMaster 130 EQ Reflector

4 - Sky-Watcher SK1309EQ2

5 - Sky-Watcher BK15075EQ3

I can get reviews, feedbacks and opinoins from the guy selling them but can't really trust the reviews from the guy selling it thou, they are somewhat a bias review, he's trying to sell them afterall. LOL.

Side note - Does these telescopes can be upgrade later on? Example; Add GoTo or Motor Drive. Astrophoto. Please give useful feedback, opinon and reviews.

Thanks. Clear skies everyone.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm also a newbie only had the Astromaster 130 EQ about a month now and very pleased with it. Using an EQ mount takes a couple of sessions to get used to. I bought mine without the motor drive as it is only another £30 to buy it separately rather than the extra £40 if bought supplied on the scope. The mount may not be the most sturdiest but I not using any other scopes I can't really compare. The supplied EP the 20mm is nice and clear and actually for a budget EP is my preferred EP and gives a lot of enjoyment. The 10mm is no where near as good and could do with being replaced. However as a newbie looking for bright objects like the moon, planets, nebula and star clusters the scope is ideal as a starter.

You really need to decide on how far down the line you want to go with a scope as to what you buy. I have attached a webcam to mine (cheap xBox webcam I converted) and so far starting to get some results.

As a beginner scope the Astomaster is great if you've never had a scope before, however I suspect that people who have more knowledge of your list may even put it down the list.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm also a newbie only had the Astromaster 130 EQ about a month now and very pleased with it. Using an EQ mount takes a couple of sessions to get used to. I bought mine without the motor drive as it is only another £30 to buy it separately rather than the extra £40 if bought supplied on the scope. The mount may not be the most sturdiest but I not using any other scopes I can't really compare. The supplied EP the 20mm is nice and clear and actually for a budget EP is my preferred EP and gives a lot of enjoyment. The 10mm is no where near as good and could do with being replaced. However as a newbie looking for bright objects like the moon, planets, nebula and star clusters the scope is ideal as a starter.

You really need to decide on how far down the line you want to go with a scope as to what you buy. I have attached a webcam to mine (cheap xBox webcam I converted) and so far starting to get some results.

As a beginner scope the Astomaster is great if you've never had a scope before, however I suspect that people who have more knowledge of your list may even put it down the list.

Thank you so much for your feedback! :)

Get the largest aperture you can afford. In this case option 5.

The other Scopes are Nice too, but you will grow out of it quickly. Especially if you live under a light poluted sky. :-/

For the EQ3 Mount you can get a cheap motor Upgrade, so you get some basic tracking.

Thanks! Yeah, its has the largest aparture but does it have the capability for further upgrades? I'm not from a wealthy family that simply can buy this and that. LOL. Need to plan my savings and buy the ones that really really really worth it.

in order words, im cheap. LOL

Thanks! Yeah, its has the largest aparture but does it have the capability for further upgrades? I'm not from a wealthy family that simply can buy this and that. LOL. Need to plan my savings and buy the ones that really really really worth it.

in order words, im cheap. LOL

It depends what you mean by upgrade?

Standard the EQ3-2 Mount comes without tracking motors. But you can buy them later as an "Upgrade". That´s what I meant.

Dobsionian Scopes have a fixed base, so cannot be upgraded, other than selling it and get a bigger one.

Tho when it comes to the EQ3-2 Mount. The Skywatcher 150 reflector scope is already the largest Scope you can comfortably put on that Mount.

If in the future you want to Upgrade to a larger Scope, like a 200 reflector, you will need to Upgrade the mount too!

It´s unavoidable.

Hello SyadAzman,

"Side note - Does these telescopes can be upgrade later on? Example; Add GoTo or Motor Drive. Astrophoto. Please give useful feedback, opinon and reviews."

I'm a newbie and have done some investigation on the above topic before buying my first scope.

Yes you can usually upgrade to a goto, but I doesn't make financial sense. For instance, I looked into buying a Skywatcher Skyliner 8 inch classic dobsonian for £280 (english pounds), but if I wanted to upgrade it to a goto later on it would cost £500 for the goto equipment! That's nearly 2x the cost of the telescope.

Archived