Choosing My First Telescope

Hi All

Firstly what a great site this is.

From being a young boy I have always wanted to purchase a telescope and last year I managed to get my hands on a  cheap celestron 130 slt and I am hooked.

I have looked into purchasing a Nexstar 6se but I am wondering wether to save for a little longer and get the 8se.

I am a complete newbie so would be greatful for some advice on which one to go for.

Also does anyone know of any good viewing places in the Bolton/Manchester?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

What is the maximum Budget you set for yourself?

I personally don´t like the single forkmounted Scopes like the se series. Especially with the 8inch OTA, it´s pretty unstable and sensitive to Wind.

The Celestron CPC series is much better, when it comes to fork mounted Scopes, as they are dual fork and have a better tripod.

They are hugely popular and the CPC800 has come Down in price significantly over the years.

The price difference between the 8se and CPC800 is roughly 400. A much better package for the price.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/cpc-gps-series/celestron-cpc-800-gps-xlt.html

Or.... if you are willing to learn, you could go for a Equitorial Mount and check out the Celestron C8 XLT + Adv. VX GoTo combo.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/advanced-vx-goto/celestron-c8-sct-vx-goto.html

This is also a hugely popular package for a great price. I have owned the older C8 XLT - CG5 combo couple years ago and greatly enjoyed it.

No matter what you choose. The C8 is a fantastic Scope, but personally I would not go for the 8se and rather go for either CPC800 or the C8XLT-Adv.VX combo.

What's wrong with a cheap 130 SLT?  :grin:

GOTO's are nice but you mostly end up paying for the computerized mount.

If you are leaning towards a good visual scope, you could take the money you were planning on spending on a 8se and get yourself a good size dob and have money left over for some decent EP's.

Archived