NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Upclose G2 10x50 Binoculars

Hi Everyone, I've recently bought a some Celestron Upclose G2  10x50 Bins. I'm a total novice so far and seem to be struggling with basic star gazing with the bins. In the day (short distance) they seem very good, but when looking at stars at night they seem to show a double image most of the time. I have adjusted as per the usual ways but they still seem offish.

This may be a silly question, but should the objective lens be at equal distances from the end of the objective tube. The one on the right seems aprox 5mm from the end, the one on the left seems approx 12mm from the end of the tube. I may be wrong but shouldn't they be equal to one another. Apologies if this isnt worded very well. Also it appears if one of the lens' has a scratch/crack/glue on the inside edge. Have I been sent a poor quality set..should I return them?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered! 

Sounds like a focus issue. When using them for astronomy you need to focus at infinity. There should be a focuser knob in the middle of the 2 lens barrels. Close your right eye and focus the tube for your left eye. Then close the left eye and focus the right side by turning the right eyepiece. That's why it is sticking out a bit farther. It is adjustable.

Not the same bins as you but the idea is the same.

Sounds to me like they need to go back.

Thanks for posting - I've been toying with the idea of getting a pair for keeping at hand in the car.

They get generally good reviews on Amazon so you might just have got a Friday Afternoon pair.

Good luck, and do let us know how it all pans out for you.

best wishes

Sounds like a focus issue. When using them for astronomy you need to focus at infinity. There should be a focuser knob in the middle of the 2 lens barrels. Close your right eye and focus the tube for your left eye. Then close the left eye and focus the right side by turning the right eyepiece. That's why it is sticking out a bit farther. It is adjustable.

Hi Matt, cheers for the link, I set them up like that last night (a few times to make sure). I've had the torch on them just now and the lens' seem fixed regardless of adjustment of either the focuser or the diopter.

Sounds to me like they need to go back.

Thanks for posting - I've been toying with the idea of getting a pair for keeping at hand in the car.

They get generally good reviews on Amazon so you might just have got a Friday Afternoon pair.

Good luck, and do let us know how it all pans out for you.

best wishes

Hi Simon, yeah they've got loads of good reviews on Amazon (I didnt get them from there though). They do seem like very nice bins,nice feel and great looks, except for the possible fault with mine lol

Archived