NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PSU for Meade 4504

Hi Guys, just a question on the power supple for the Meade 4504. I read on the Telescope it takes 15v, but I don't have the original PSU for it. I tried my laptop PSU as it seemed to connect and it worked, but it was overpowered at 20v. I tested the laptop PSU with my voltmeter and it reads 19.5v. I am now wondering what are the options for powering the telescope motors and handset that would be portable. Of course I am going to do manual planet finding and stargazing initially but just wondered how I could power it without eventually burning something out. Is is possible to make one up myself?  The most batteries I have a holder for is 8 x 1.5v which gives me 12v not the 15v? 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ok, so I loked through the manual of the Meade 4504 Telescope and on p13 it says install 10 AA size batteries, so I  went to Maplin electronics web site and done a search ans they do a 10 AA battery holder http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/10-aa-battery-box-rk45y I think I will nip out this afternoon and purchase one. Just need to measure the diameter of the connection and get my polarity right when soldering and that should do. I am also wondering if I could use a 3 cell LiPo battery which is 11.1v as the 10 AA batteries just add up to 12.5v. The 3 cell LiPo charges to 12.xv anyway??? Just a thought as I already have the 3 cell LiPo batteries for my quadcopter.

ok, so I loked through the manual of the Meade 4504 Telescope and on p13 it says install 10 AA size batteries, so I  went to Maplin electronics web site and done a search ans they do a 10 AA battery holder http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/10-aa-battery-box-rk45y I think I will nip out this afternoon and purchase one. Just need to measure the diameter of the connection and get my polarity right when soldering and that should do. I am also wondering if I could use a 3 cell LiPo battery which is 11.1v as the 10 AA batteries just add up to 12.5v. The 3 cell LiPo charges to 12.xv anyway??? Just a thought as I already have the 3 cell LiPo batteries for my quadcopter.

Yes, they really add up to 15v not 12.5v, what am I on this day!

You can get variable output (using a small switch) power bricks, sold as a universal replacement PSU for laptops, I have two - one to provide 18V for my mount and the other for the laptop. They work with a 12V input and the voltage multiplier circuit will output 15v if that's what you need.

ChrisH

We'll that worked well. Got the bits and pieces from MAPLINS and soldered them together and it's working now. I just need some sort of housing to hold the batteries and maybe insulate them from the cold and allow me to Velcro the battery pack to the tripod. I'm sure that won't be too difficult though.

Archived