NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Complete newbie

Hi all

I have popped along here as I am in desperate need for some expert advice pleeeeease. I am looking to but a telescope for my boyfriend for Christmas, he is a complete beginner. I had seen the Skywatcher Explorer 130P Newtonian Reflector Telescope but wondered if this could be used alongside an ipad. I did email a camera shop and they came back and suggested the Sky-Watcher Skyhawk-1145P (AZ) SynScan GO-TO Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope as this could link to the ipad but the other one couldn't?

Anyway, I then thought about not worrying about the ipad and just wondered which is the better telescope.

Just wondered if you lovely lot could help me please. Or if you thought there was a completely different better one!! I have no clue at all!!

Phew.

Is he supposed to know about the scope ?

If so then locate the Norwich Astro Society and give them a visit. They meet up weekly but it is a bit out of Norwich and not easy to describe getting there. Airfield, South East of Norwich, Toad Lane or Toad Rd I think. That presumes Norwich is close. If not poat again with a better idea of your location, there are half a dozen clubs in Norfolk

Many go for the 130P, personally not overly keen on it. The next one up is really the 150P Dobsonian mount (same as the 130P mount type) Catch as ever is that bigger cost more. The 130P's are about £130 the 150P's are £208.

There is a Heritage Virtuoso that may be an option. It is not goto, but it will track an object so keeping it in view. Virtuoso.

Cost looks reasonable, set up is I suspect a bit of location data, date, time and it would most likely have to stand on a table pointing North. Nothing difficult. The link is to the Mak variant, there is a newtonian variant, the Mak may be easier.

Leave it there as throwing everything at you would cause confusion even more.

Check out the telescope retailers: FLO, Rother Valley, Sherwoods Photo, Green Witch, Harrisons, 365Astronomy.

Not sure that connecting an iPad is actually possible, at least not without a fair bit of effort. Have never heard of it from any source - but could be wrong. Pretty sure that you could not plug one in and expect it to do anything immediatly. So not sure of that claim.

Hi all

I have popped along here as I am in desperate need for some expert advice pleeeeease. I am looking to but a telescope for my boyfriend for Christmas, he is a complete beginner. I had seen the Skywatcher Explorer 130P Newtonian Reflector Telescope but wondered if this could be used alongside an ipad. I did email a camera shop and they came back and suggested the Sky-Watcher Skyhawk-1145P (AZ) SynScan GO-TO Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope as this could link to the ipad but the other one couldn't?

Anyway, I then thought about not worrying about the ipad and just wondered which is the better telescope.

Just wondered if you lovely lot could help me please. Or if you thought there was a completely different better one!! I have no clue at all!!

Phew.

Welcome to the stargazerslounge, there is member in my favourites list who has experience with the scopes you mention, I will ask him to reply to this post, GOOD LUCK

Ah thank you both for your help. I'm not sure about the ipad either to be honest, it was just something he said he would like to do so I asked this shop if possible. But if not it's no problem. Like you say it probably wouldn't be straight forward (is it ever!!). So really I guess my question would be which of those is the better?

I am near King's Lynn and no he doesn't know he is getting one but has HEAVILY hinted that he wants one :shocked:

Ahh thanks Paul, if he has experience of them that would be great but like I say if there are any others that are better I'm open to ideas, I want to go for no more than £250 really.

Thanks

Sal

West Norfolk is the closest club.

Try this: Map

Posted it in the Social Groups section, East Anglia

Overall heavily dependant on what he would like and cost to you.

The 150P would last him longer then the 130P would, if he just wants it for reasonably viewing then he may not need to go any bigger. I think that with the 130P he would want a bigger. Equally that should be his choice not yours.

For a little electronics and tracking the Virtuoso fits. It can be upgraded to goto but the cost may mean that it is a bit pointless - put the money towards something bigger/better. Being a Mak it would need a long focal length eyepiece just to help fiind things a bit easier - 32mm or 40mm plossl.

Thing is that a first scope has to do several things and preferably do them easily and not be overly expensive.

Archived