NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I'm thinking of simplifying my equipment...

maflu

Hi,

I've been doing astroimaging for a few years with a Canon 300D, a Newtonian telescope (150mm) a guiding scope (Orion 80ED), a SkySensor 2000 system. I must say I'm now a bit tired of all the problems I've had (poor tracking due to many issues, etc.) and what is a hobby is becoming a chore now. I would like to simplify my equipment, spend much less time in setting up everything, make much more pictures.

I need to be able to shoot 3 to 5 minute exposures for deep sky images and I wondered if there would be new equipment on the market that would simplify the whole process. I'm thinking of selling everything I have and buy a Canon 6D and a good 200-300mm lens...

What do you think? Is astroimaging more simple now? Thank you for your comments.

It's really all down to the mount and its accuracy. The need for accuracy diminishes with focal length. There's a big difference between 200 and 300mm, therefore, in the accuracy required. But even 200mm needs accuracy. It ought to be possible on something like an Astrotrac, unguided, but I always suspect that guiding an HEQ5 or the slightly cheaper Celestron is likely, in the end, to be the most consistent solution. A fast F ratio also simplies matters assuming you can focus and get clean stars. A Canon 200L takes a bit of beating.

Truth is, though, that imaging is complicated...

Olly

Archived