Problem with goto feature

So I think I have the setup down now. But tonight I was out and got the my celestron c8-sgt setup and slewed over to Jupiter iTunes looked like a star there was no definition in it and I tryed from 32mm-6mm and still nothing and I checked to see if I was actually looking at Jupiter and my software on my phone pointed straight at it.

But that is not my question I was thinking try to line on another planet or star. But when I tried to slew to another star or planet the handheld said no more objects found in the database filter. What does that mean?

To add to I get a better view of Jupiter through the spotter scope 6x30 than through the telescope. And I lined it up on the cross hairs in the spotter plus I could see it in the telescope but it was dim in the telescope. I am very confused with that too.

Also sounds as if the finder and the main scope are not aligned.

If you have not then point the scope at something about 2 miles away and get it in the centre of view, then adjust the finder to get the same thing in the centre of it's view. Double check it afterwards to make sure nothing has moved.

As already said did you adjust the focus on the scope?

Also did you have a look at the front plate of the scope - was it dry or covered in dew ?

These scopes attract dew quite extensively, and NC can have humidity at 100% easily.

The alignment and set up needs to be accurate, the field of view with the 32mm will just be a bit less then 0.8 degree. So if you are assuming that the scope should match the mobile app you are wrong, I would guess that the mobile will present a 15-20 degree display of the sky and then you select the bit that interests you. The scope has a much smaller view and displays just what is in it. If Jupiter was just outside you do not get to know that.

As to the no more objects, I half suspect the wrong key pressed. and that more information about the object was requested and there was none. Not sure about Celectrons but on Meades to change to another object means going back up the menu tree then selecting. The handset is not a PC and has nothing like the capabilities of one, however realising this is often overlooked.

Going to suggest something I found useful sit down with the manual read it at least 3 times and scribble down data and use the scope inside in the light and where it is warm. Just get used to the thing. It is possible to have missed something or to have assumed something. There will be little bits of information in it that after 5 years you will suddenly find. If one bit of data is wrong then you may not be able to get at it to change, I had to reset a Meade in order to change the mount from EQ to Alt/Az as no way would it present the mount type to me to alter - yet there the option sits in the menu tree. It took a complete clear of data to allow me to set it.

Ronin--- good information I guess I am needing to set down with the manual and read it again. I find that a lot of the information in the manual is very confusing being new to astronomy there is a large learning curve to it.

Archived