First Collimation but slight problem.

Managed to collimate the 200P Dob. Feeling quite pleased with the process (as long as the star test shows a good result).

I was surprised at how far out the secondary was when I saw the laser about 2" away from the doughnut....got that sorted and then had slight problem with the primary.... 3 Allen keys supplied with the scope, none of which fitted the locking nuts. The smallest was too small, and the middle sized one was too big. Luckily I have a set with my archery equipment, and had a perfect fit. Once unlocked collimation proceeded easily, making sure the laser stayed central whilst tightening the lock nuts up.

Kept the tube horizontal whilst working on the secondary, just in case I dropped the key or the screwdriver (horrible thought).

So hoping for a clear sky to do the star test, and give my new 6mm wide angle EP out.

This is one procedure where my wife draws the line....I do the work, she gets to enjoy the benefits. Hmmmm?

Frank

did make a rough cradle and tried to see if collimated.....but to be honest I need to do that again, so shall have a re-read of the instructions about collimating the collimator, Just waiting to see if I have some clear sky and can go have a looksee. But thanks for the reminder, as I am a complete novice I appreciate any help or advice.

When I looked down the scope again, I think it was probably no more than an inch off centre as I hadn't tightened the screws on the focusser initially,,,luckily there is a bright light about 4 miles away from us over the estuary, so if no stars visible, I may see if that will show me an Airey disc ?

It is a learning curve, and one I think that is best achieved through practical (very slow and careful )experiment. Worst case scenario I will ask some of the guys at Border Astronomical society to have a look at it next Thurs. If I cannot manage.

Thanks for the reminder.

Frank

Re checked the collimator, and when inserted and rotated, the dot remained a dot in the centre of the doughnut, so looking good. Despite the cloud cover, we got a lovely view of the Moon, with Aristarchus very bright.

All in all, it seems as though I may have managed to get it collimated ok.

Will ask the Dob expert check it for me next meeting, one of the benefits of an Astronomical society, such helpful folk and being able to watch someone do a new task makes it much easier fo rme to learn.

"Send in the clouds, don't worry they're here" .... I always thought that those were the lyrics, and now they seem more relevant!!

Frank

Archived