Vixen RS130 + Polaris Mount

I can't begin to say how many thing is wrong with that set up.

1. The main scope is mounted the wrong way round. Finder and guide scope is pointed in the opposite direction to the main scope.

2. The main scope is a Newtonian, it doesn't need a diagonal

3. With so many fundamental errors, the scope is unlikely to be well looked after.

4.The Vixen polaris mount is over 20 years old. I can only assume the rest of the scope was of that age too. I'd bet the mains scope mirror is in a very bad condition, old mirror coating doesn't last long before it's tarnished.

The scope is very suspicious and way overpriced. I'd avoid it unless you are very experience in buying and restoring 2nd hand telescope and the price was under €150.

You can get a new Skywatcher 150p with EQ3-2 from TS for €420. The 150p will most likely have better optics than a 20 years old Vixen 130, and a fresh EQ3-2 will have better mechanics than a bad super polaris. (If the SP is in good condition it will be better than the EQ3-2, but it probably won't be the case for this one)

Archived