LX90 vs LT-8

I'm a 30 year veteran amateur and have owned about a dozen scopes in that time. My interest lapsed a few years back and I gave up the hobby (mainly light pollution and family!). Recently my 13 year old son took an interest and we purchased an 8" Skywatcher DOB; just like you should - ideal first telescope and all that.

However, having owned most things up to a 10" LX200 in the past, I am aware this is not really proving enough for me. I feel that whilst the notion of 'learning' your way by star hopping is all very well, it's not at all easy and even though I can probably point out over 100 objects by name just by looking up, I am struggling massively with the DOB and missing my GOTO so that getting them in the eyepiece is proving more work than actually viewing them. Sorry!

So looking around I see that prices have dropped since I last owned a Meade. There are some nice sales on the LX90 and there is a new kid called the LT-8.

After some initial research I'm faced with the choice between (both new) an LT-8 ACF at £999 and an LX90 SCT at £1251 (the ACF version of the LX90 seems to be still at the old £1800 price). So the question is, how much difference does the new ACF make and is therefore the LX90 without ACF, but with a better mount and GPS worth £250 more than an LT-8 with ACF?

Archived