Finder guider-guide rate

I am trying to set up guiding using a finder guider,DMK41 CCD camera as guide camera, HEQ5 mount and 250mm f4.8 reflector. I am connecting via the Synscan handset using the Celestron driver and ASCOM. Also a Canon 20D DSLR.

I have just noticed that if I go in to the ASCOM telescope chooser after clicking the mount icon in PHD a HC (hand controller) icon appears. This has a box with move rate-I assume this is the guide rate? It is currently set to 2 degrees/second, it an be set to 1x sidereal, 2x sidereal, 8x sidereal etc, 0.5 degrees a second, or 3 degrees a second. With my set up which would be the best guide rate?

David

David is the attached image the feature you're talking about? If it is then as far as I know it simply provides controls for slewing the scope, and has no bearing on the guide rate. I use it occasionally if the scope needs nudging to clear excessive backlash, but otherwise it plays no part in the calibration or guiding. I believe there is an option for disabling it, but I can't quite remember where it appears.

Roy

post-9429-0-33018500-1351678764.jpg

Archived