Imaging and Processing the Moon

I've just started out imaging the moon (but not imaging itself), this is probably my second shot of it. I had the camera set at ISO400 and 1/2000 shutter. I took 100 shots, processed in PIPP before stacking and then adjusted in Photoshop.

post-6495-0-45178800-1351297115_thumb.jp

Any and all comments welcome for improving my technique!

That is a great detailed image, well done. I find that with the moon, it is very easy to clip the highlights when sharpening and it looks to me that you image might suffer from this a tiny bit. Though processing is a personal thing and some people accept their lunar images are clipped at the top end if it brings out more detail elsewhere in the histogram.

Cheers,

Chris

That's pretty good.

To get the sharpening accurate (rather than just 'well that looks nice'), what I do in IRIS is take a 'slice' at the limb. This means I get a little graph of the brightness from the background to the beginning of the moon propper. In theory the background brightness should be flat then you should see a clean cliff up to the beginning of the moon, but in any raw shot it never is. By using wavelets and lots of trial and effort I manipulate the various wavelet strengths so as to flatten the black background without making any values below the average background level, and give as near to a 90 degree angle to the rising cliff.

The face of the moon then turned out to be nice and sharp without being 'over-processed'... this is what I did for my moon image in my gallery here: https://sites.google.com/site/southwiltshireastro/gallery

just one of many methods.

Derek

Archived