DSLR or SPC900NC SC 1.5 Mod Whats Best

I think in my intro, i hinted, i may at some point wish to have a go at astrophotography. Well, i'm nowhere near ready yet, but due to Rubbish weather today and this evening, i have been looking at my equipment and my options. Sort of trying to make sense of what i already have and what i may need in the future.

Anyway a few questions, if thats ok. I guess some may have been answered already, but i've trawled through previous posts, and cant find anything specific. If i've missed something, please accept my apologies.

I have a Philips spc900nc, which has been adapted for planetary use, 1.25 nose piece, uv ir filter. I also have an Olympus E510 DSLR.

I was thinking of getting the SC 1.5 mod for my webcam, but was assured that my DSLR would be better.

What does anyone think or recommend?

I know most people, well nearly everyone, lol, use some kind of Canon. Is my E510 actually good enough for dso pics, or would the modded cam be better?

Also looked everywhere on the net for a t ring and a t ring adaptor for my E510, but cant find anything. Well, i'm lying actually, found lots of things, but not sure if they are what i need, lol. If somebody uses this camera, and could maybe post me a link to what i need that would be great.

My other concern was to do with weight. From what i have read i am probably on the limit, for my 200p and eq5 pro mount. Scope already has skywatcher focus motor, and Orion self centering adapter. If i was to image with the DSLR, with more, but shorter exposures, without guiding, would i be ok. Obviously the webcam is quite light, which is what made me think of the mod route.

Sorry for such a long post, but got really bored this evening, what with the weather and that. And being pretty new to all this, i'm just as excited looking through all my stuff and reading articles on here. Very addictive isnt it, lol.

Many Thanks and take care

Ian

Hi, i'm not that familier with Olympus DSLR's but if it uses the standard Olympus interchangerable lens mount you will need a standard T ring and an Olympus fit T ring adaptor.

Does the camera have 'Live view'? DSLR Astro Photography is much easier with Live View.

I'm not an expert but I think your DSLR chip will be far more sensitive than your SPC900 would ever be even when modded.

Hi Pete

Thanks for your reply. Yes my olympus has live view. Would i be better off looking at photography or astro dealers for the T ring and adapter. Like i said, i've looked on line, but not really sure what i need. The four thirds bit keeps confusing me. I see you also use Canon's. I have read online, that they are the astronomers choice due to software availability etc, but i wanted to try and make use of the camera i have, just to save on expense, until i am sure its for me.

Many Thanks

Ian

Archived