NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

80 mm guidescope question

I just received the 80mm guidescope with mounting rings etc still waiting on a dovetail bar to mount it to..

there arent any instructions but i believe I am savvy enough to look it up online and figure out the mounting process.

question is, since it appears to mount just a bit offside of top center and back toward the EP do I need another

counter weight? I have the one that came w the CG5 EQ mount. It may seem silly but I would rather know BEFORE

I mount it and tip the whole mess over!

thanks so much

Tracy

Tracey, I'm not familiar with the CG5 mount, but balance can be achieved two ways. One is additional weight, the other is to move the existing weight further out from the balance point (obviously dependent on the mass of the actual weight itself and the length of the bar it sits on).

With a SCT scope like the SE8 tube rotation can be a problem as unlike a Newtonian you can't twist the tube to counteract any off centre attachments, but yes I guess you will have to move the tube further up in the saddle so as to stop the scope being un-balanced.

At the end of the day, unless someone else has the same set up, you will need to do some experimentation

Archived