New to stargazing but at a cross-roads already!

Thanks Kef9 for your prompt PM. Yes portability is a major factor for me and as my interest is in searching for and observing some of the brighter DSOs then it looks like the ST150 is a strong contender. However I’m lucky enough to have access to the roof of my flat at the rear which affords 360 views. I’m thinking platform for telescope. I’m thinking dump on it a large dob. A very large dob. The roof is mono pitched and not terribly steep so minimal risk of sliding off during construction of platform. This could be good.

Then when I eventually move out of and away from London and live under dark skies I simply reinstall the huge dob to the new garden or roof, whichever is more suitable. Nice.

So the ST150 seems to be fitting the bill as a grab and go wide field DSO. Liking it.

Just need to look through one to satisfy the 'try before buy' thingy.

Not so sure the roof is a good idea as the air currents will badly affect your views. Even patios can radiate stored heat back upwards during the evenings.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would second that view that now you have a small, portable scope (and I have the same one so I know how good it is) you next move is likely to be for more aperture, as much as you can get.

I was lucky enough to find a 200p-EQ5 second-hand. I was concerned about getting a Newtonian with all the worries about collimation. I shouldn't have worried. It normally takes two minutes, while the scope is cooling, just to tweak the prmary mirror. I was foolish enough to drop the end cover into the dew shield last night and knock the secondary mirror supports (it had been a long night), even so it will only take me 15 mins (in my warm living room) to check and adjust everything.

Many people here will recommend a Dob, but I believe there are advantages to having an EQ mount. I like the way I can find something and then let the RA motor track it so I can show my friends without risking losing it. I realise this comes at a price in terms of money and weight and bulk to shift around, the EQ5 is seriously heavy.

If you do get something bigger don't be tempted to sell the little Mak though. Istil use mine a lot as it is so much quicker and easier to setup than the big scope.

Thanks PorkyB. Interesting comments, especially with regard to the weight of the EQ5.

I will never part with my little Mak as it is so lightweight but big on the grab and go front.

I suspect I will upgrade to a largish dob some time down the line but for now I feel an intermediate sized grab and go (ST150?) would suit.

There are two camps here. First is simply taking advantage of a slot in my busy life (and/or the weather) and nipping out for a quick one (enter Mak, and/or ST150), then there is the more serious, proper dark sky sessions that would, more-than-likely, involve a largish dob I'm sure.

My binoculars get used the most though!

Archived