My first guide

GlassWalker

I'll spare the longer version for now, but in short, I'm imaging right now with an EQ6 guided by QHY5 via ST4 cable and PHD. I have got the bits to use EQMOD too, but I haven't really figured it out yet so thought I'd try this one step at a time.

On my first test run I got 9x2m exposures with a 135mm lens on Canon 600D. With my earlier astrotrac attempts you can see the scene walk across the screen as you go through a series. It was an expected surprise, if that's possible, to see it not move over this set. When I registered them in PixInsight, I did find there was some movement and rotation still. If guiding is working, how much pixel drift would you expect? The smallest I saw was about 0.15 and the biggest about 0.5 between consecutive shots. I don't know my arcseconds/pixels but it'll be pretty large I think given the short focal length. I guess this isn't too unexpected, since I know my polar alignment isn't hot as I never collimated it to the mount, and I had to estimate the offset direction as I didn't set that up either. Oh, I knew I forgot something, I didn't level the base either.

Archived