Upgrading from a SkyWatcher 250px dob for astrophotography

Hi there,

I currently have a Sky-Watcher 250px dob and am going to upgrade the mount, one of the main reasons is because the mount isn't really suitable when a have a big dlsr mounted on it and other than that...I'd just like to upgrade :-). I've listened on the word on the street and was going to upgrade the mount to the Sky-Watcher NEQ6 PRO, but am just weighing up my options and wondering if it's worth selling my current scope and mount and using the money to go towards a new tube, I currently have about £1200 to spare, say I get £300 for the scope, that's £1500, £1000 for the mount that leaves me £500 for a tube. Now I looked at a S/W 300pds, the NEQ5 could take it but think I'm pushing my luck really when I add the weight of the camera and any wind and the thought of moving it.......

So as a second option (and as I'd heard recommendations on SCT's for imaging) I was looking at the Celestron Advanced C9¼-SGT-XLT, as an OTA it's about £1100 so I can't afford it as well as the NEQ6 unless I downgraded the size of the tube quite a bit but I've seen they do this tube with a CG-5 Mount here: http://www.opticstar...?p=0_10_1_8_120 all for under £1500.....would that mount hold up? Or is it a budget-bundled mount?

I'm looking at photographing planets but would like to try my hand at DSOs.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Jason.

Ps. I've attached a pic of the moon I took with me dob, this was a first attempt and I was quite pleased.

post-13459-0-65209500-1339922598_thumb.j

Hi,

I had a 250mm Flextube and wanted to go down the same route. The Flextube was fine for the planets (Synscan) but not really good enough for DSOs and I couldn't see anyone who had had real success with guiding a dob.

So I bought a second hand HEQ5 and a second hand Skywatcher Quattro 200mm, really nice for wide field shots. I soon decided that I needed a scope with longer focal length so bought a C11, to get back to the same aperture and then the HEQ5 was too small, so bought a second hand EQ6 and sold the HEQ5.

I have no problem buying second hand, especially a mount, it's easy to see if it is okay and all mounts need a bit of maintenance from time to time. I am less confident to sort out problems on scopes, although after reading a guide (Astro baby's), I did remove and clean the primary mirror on my 200.

A good EQ6 will cost about £800 second hand and carry a C11 for imaging quite nicely. A good HEQ5 will cost around £600 second hand and carry a C9.25 for imaging.

Or try and find a new package from one of the dealers, some are having sales at the moment and there is ex-demo kit, which is usually guaranteed the same as new.

Hi,

I think the CG5 is equivalent to the HEQ5 in terms of weight capacity. Just to clarify, where I say imaging above, I mean long exposure and you should aim for a payload weight around half to two thirds the capacity of the mount. For planets and visual you can go higher. Getting up to the capacity of the mount is not advised, it won't damage it, just won't track very smoothly.

Thanks for the info, that helps alot, I looked at the CG5 and it's payload is 12.5kg where the C9.25 is a smidge over 9kg by itself, add to that the camera and guide scope...... I guess I'll need the NEQ6 then really, that means more saving :-( I'll keep an eye on ebay.

dont forget that for AP you count with about half the payload capacity ... so lets say mount can take up to 20kg , for AP you can load about 10kg give or take

at least thats the common adivce around here

Hi,

FLO sell ex demo and returns on here, just look at the home page, you might get lucky with a mount. Or try Astrobuysell.com/uk, great place for second hand gear from real astronomers.

Looking at the payload of the CG5 it looks the same as an EQ5. A HEQ5 can handle 16kgs so is right on the limit for the C9.25 for DSOs, the EQ6 would be better. Be warned though, an EQ6 head weighs around 17kgs, there are then two 5kg counter weights and the tripod weighs around 7kg, quite a lot if you have to lug it about.

Archived