Astronomy Magazine

sdawson91

Evening Ladies and Gents,

In New Zealand we don't really have dedicated telescope stores or a dedicated Astronomy magazine for beginners who are looking at doing astrophotography or finding the right equipment for telescopes etc.

I have had an idea on possibly putting together an online publication that is deidcated towards detailing the best equipment i.e. Lens, filters, cameras, telescopes etc. It would also include details about what settings are best for this eqiupment, information about astronomical events around the world, a bit of Q&A, and possibly explanations for why things occur in the world of astronomy as they do, so explain things like the Transit of Venus.

Obviously I would aim this towards a New Zealand-based audience at first, I was hoping to explore whether people on this forum would like to volunteer to submit material that could be used in the publication. I have gone through the forum extensively over the past couple of days an am very impressed with the level of quality in responses and threads.

I would ensure that any work is fully credited to the author, at the start of course I can unfortunately not be able to pay anyone for this service, however I'm sure there are many out there who would just feel like you're helping a lot of people out there, in the future I would like to be in a position to offer payment for the high-quality material that could be published.

First off, I would like to know if me posting this of the forums is acceptable ot the administators of Stargazers Lounge? If it is not, I will promptly remove this thread.

I would also in the publication like to offer the ability for people to send in their photos so that people from NZ can see what others are doing around the world! I would ask local photography establishments, after seeing if there is a sufficent amount of readers, whether advertising is an option. I would be certainly in the publication be recommending people come through this forum for more extensive and additional information.

If people think this is a good idea, than please post a comment below. At this stage it is just exploring an idea. I feel bad as someone young and really enthusiastic about astrophotography that we have nothing in NZ that is dedicated towards this. I would be greatly appreicative for any suggestions or advice.

Kind Regards,

Stuart Dawson

Archived