Light pollution question

I'm relatively new to the astronomy front. I've always loved stargazing, but since starting college I've become more serious, in large part because the area I moved to has large patches of dark sky. This noob has a couple questions for y'all.

1. Is there a significant difference between bortle class 1 and class 2 two stargazing sites? There are a lot of class 2 skies in my area, but I would really have to go out of my way to get to a class 1 location. Is it worthwhile?

2. While stargazing at a class 2 location, I noticed that the landscape was still fairly well lit. More than enough to see by after my eyes adjusted. What is the origin of this light?

If you're observing from Bortle class 2, you're really quite fortunate and with a little investigation, I'm sure you'll be able to suss out the origin of that light you mention.

As I understand it, a significant difference between class 1 & 2 is that in the former your surroundings are 'invisible', they're not even silhouetted against the sky!

Archived