Finding Galaxies

I have a Skywatcher 130 Goto and I've seen the whirlpool through it fairly well (if quite small).

It was VERY dark, clear sky, and with averted vision, the 'whirl' was very clear.

My Goto found it 3 or 4 times in the same eveining, but I haven't spotted it again since.

Funnily enough, it's the good old Andromeda galaxy that eludes me most.

Roy.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one of these was M51 and even in a poor area for light pollution (I live near Stockport and Manchester) I managed for the first time to see spiral arms fainly and the bridge between the galaxies. had my neighbours not been constantly turning lights on and off I'd have seen more. not like at a dark site but very satisfying.

dark sites and aperture rule for faint targets.

I'll remember this, especially when I'm in need of help! I'm from Stockport but moved to Ashton 8 years ago.

Thanks for all your replies (only just got chance to check the thread again since my initial post).

It's good to know what I'm expecting to see and will continue to try and find them. As has been said, I'm sure that once I've found one, I'll find others more easily.

Archived