Meade ETX-60AT Power Issues

Hello fellow astronomers,

My mothers partner owns a Meade ETX-60AT telescope but hasn't used it for years. When he discovered my love of astronomy he decided to get his telescope out and have a nosey at the sky. He discovered a problem with getting it working, and after replacing the batteries with brand new Duracell ones, the power light still does not come on.

We have cleaned the terminals and checked the connections in the battery pack but all seems alright. We connected a nine-volt battery to the connector and there is still no power.

We think that there might be a connection problem within the Bae Housing but cannot find a way inside to check.

He doesn't want to fork out on a mains lead, or other accessories as it will be used only occassionally and outdoors away from the mains. Does anyone know what the problem might be, and how to fix it? I have browsed a few websites but there isn't really anything specific about this problem.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Archived