Help after polar aligning

Just got my first mount, a CG4 with motor drives. I followed the procedure to "rough align".. ?????? Then what? Using this procedure I don't have to see Polaris, I guess. Or do I? But then, if I have to or not, how do I turn my scope to any star without disrupting the alignment? This step is fuzzy, I have no idea... I am a newbie, have no idea how to proceed from there on.

I may need the kind of detail from a person(s) that have used the CG4 and are kindv nough to pass that Knowledge on. I have looked at may sites for this info on polar alignment, including the mount's manual, but they digress. There are many procedures, and I like the rough alignment because i dont have a view of Polaris. Yep! I just need the next step after that. Walk me through, please.

Fornexample, so far none of the procedures, That I have read, 6-7 , said this, , which is very important to know.

"Once you have found an object by whatever means, proper polar alignment makes it easy to keep the object in view while observing - only the Right Ascension slow motion control is needed to track the object across the sky; no further adjustment of Declination will be necessary."

Now, if you have Polaris in sight, or close by, do you disengage one of the clutches to move around the ota and leave the "N" on the tripod looking North?

And then, do the motors jut keep up with the earth movement ?

And if so, why are the arrow buttons on the hand controller needed?

When I use them, if I have to, do I have to disconnect something?

Can I use the slow motion cables when the motors are "ON" . -- they are kind of stuck now--

Too many questions, kind of frustrated right now.

Archived