Help me spend 900 Euro wisely

Hi

The premise for my purchase is that I am new to this hobby, 100% green basically and my budget is 900 Euro.

I wish to share it with my son, a 12 year old and my hope is that we get of to a good start that makes both my son and I want more, as opposed to a start with little or no good visual observations or problems with the scope or mount.

We will start with the easy stuff, the moon, planets and then hopefully grow from there, that is the plan/wish at least ;)

With the above in mind I find a refractor to be the best instrument design for us, and a possible start package could look like this.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3308_Skywatcher-Evostar-120-on-EQ5---Refractor-telescope-120-1000mm.html

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1857_TS-Binoviewer-1-25----with-4-eyepieces-and-Glass-Path-Corrector.html

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1399_TS-10x50-90--RA-finderscope---with-1-25--crosshair-eyepiece.html

Alternatively this scope instead:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1011_Celestron-Omni-120-XLT---120-1000mm-Refraktor-Teleskop---CG4.html

I don't know if there is any real difference in performance between the two.

I would have wanted a EQ5 Pro Syscan GoTo mount, but I think making observing easier and more comfortable for us will have more value in the beginning.

If any of you have suggestions on a different composition based on a refractor then I will greatly appreciate if you would share it with me.

Thank you in advance ;)

Diego

We very often recommend a Dobsonian for beginners. These telescopes provide a lot of light gathering power, stable mounts, and a very good price. Something like this will show you vastly more than the refractors you listed: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1192_GSO-Dobson-880---10----250-1250mm-Teleskop---Deluxe-Version.html

The advantage of the refractor would be that if the equatorial mount has a motor drive the telescope will be able to track object. With the Dobsonian this isn't possible so you have to hand-track (i.e. nudge it along every few seconds). Hand-tracking is easy to learn. The reflector will require you to align the optics before observing. Again, once you know how it takes only a couple of minutes. If you don't align, the consequences aren't terrible (i.e. you can still observe) but the views can become blurry. Every scope has it's positive and negative sides so give a thought to what your priorities are.

Finally, I reckon since you're starting out you would get more mileage out of some extra eyepieces and maybe a light pollution filter than you would from a binoviewer. Again, that's a personal choice.

You may well find locating objects will be easier if you go for a reflex finder such as a Telrad rather than the finderscope you list. Just use the Telrad and your main telescope's lowest power and you'll be good to go.

Diego,

I disagree with you that you should start into astronomy with a refractor. With a newtonian, you will see a lot more in greater detail. Also, a newtonian is simpler, so you will never have a reason not to take it out. For me 8" is a sweet spot.

I also think that a binoviewer is a little complicated to start out with, and you would be better off with a few good eyepieces.

That is only my opinion--and I have both refractors and reflectors. Refractors have their place, but I have more fun with the reflectors, and my children do too.

But if you really want a refractor, here's the main thing to watch out for: make sure it is really solid on it's mount--like rock solid. Nothing will destroy your joy in astronomy like a mount that shakes and vibrates so much you can't see the image properly. And your telescope is magnifying every vibration. It's better to have a rock-solid mount and a smaller refractor than a big refractor and a mount that doesn't hold it well. You'll SEE more in the smaller refractor on the better mount.

Is there a shop near you where you could go see this setup to make sure it is really the best thing for you? Or perhaps someone else on this forum knows this specific equipment and can weigh in.

Diego,

I recently went through a similar trial of trying to choose the correct type of telescope fitted to my needs and compromises.

To do the best possible job, I made up a list of questions for myself which I think may help you. It runs something like this:

Where will you be viewing from? For example, do you have a garden in the suburbs or do you live in a block of flats in a city centre?

Where will you need to carry you gear to start viewing? For example, can you just hump it out to a garden in one or two shots or will you have to be climbing stairs, or shuttling up and down in tiny lifts in an apartment building?

Do you have access to transport and what kind? If you have a car, will there be room for the given scope, your family, their stuff etc?

For myself, I went through each question and a lot of headache. I went through the options open to me, and in the end, after going to a local astronomy club in Spain my head went for Skywatcher Telescope N 200/1000 PDS Explorer BD NEQ-5 but my heart went for a Tal 100rs: TAL 100RS Review. There was just something about the refractor.

Whatever you go for, I reckon you'll probably end up changing it if you keep with the hobby.

Good luck!

Hi again

So what I thought I knew has been turned upside down and I know find myself settled on either of these two specific packages.

First Light Optics - Celestron Omni XLT 127

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skymax 127 (EQ3-2)

We will be looking at the moon, planets, double stars, simply start with objects that easy to find and relatively easy to understand.

Later I hope there is interest in observing the allusive objects and DSO's but when that time comes I will more than likely invest in an instrument for that exact task.

Can anyone help me understand what (if any) advantages there might be between either of these two setups?

Thank you in advance.

Archived