Skywatcher Explorer 150P and a 1000D for astrophotography?

Hello again guys.

Well, it turns out I've been paying too much in taxes, so I can look forward to getting around £420 back in april. I've decided I want to invest it in a telescope with the main purpose of astrophotographing. I already own a Canon 1000D (unmodded) so on the camera side I should be covered.

This is the setup I'm thinking about at the moment:

Skywatcher Explorer 150P on EQ3 - 150/750mm Newton Telescope

Skywatcher Polar viewfinder

Skywatcher Quartz-controlled single axis tracking motor

T2 Adaptor for CANON EOS Cameras

Did I forget anything? I should be ready for astro photography with this setup, right?

But what kind of results would I be able to get? I tried google, but I get a lot of different pictures regarding quality. Does anybody have a similar setup?

Would you propose another setup?

Depends what you intend photographing. For deep space objects I'm not sure that mount will cut it. For the moon and planets it will be fine but you'll need a webcam with a ccd sensor rather than your Canon.

Paul

That's a tough sell. You'd have to modify the camera yourself (for enhanced red response). You'd have to buy something like this Orion Adventures in Astro-Imaging Bundle - SCS Astro (for £145) and convert it to autoguide (I've done this) for another £100 or so. Which only leaves you £200 for a decent lens and light pollution filter. Just about doable if you source almost everything second hand.

astroimage%20camera.jpg

Archived