new school astronomy club

I'm new to astronomy but have always had a passing interest in it. I teach in a secondary school and I've started up an astronomy club this year and have a regular cohort of about 15 keen pupils who turn up every week. I have them registered with the National Schools Observatory and they seem to be having great fun with that. I was also lucky enough to secure some funding to get the club up and running and I've used some of it to purchase a few sets of Celestron 10x50 binoculars and stands that the pupils can borrow to do their own observing - I've also asked them to make a note of what they saw and observing conditions etc. I've also built up an astronomy library full of very readable and tangible books which the pupils can also borrow and this seems to have gone down well. A couple of years ago I was given money to buy a telescope and got a Celestron 130 eq - which seems fine but I find it awkward aligning it to objects in the sky. I'm also not sure I have it balanced properly and with all the knob turning that is required as objects move across, I've found it a but fiddly. Some staff have donated a couple of telescopes too which are 6 inch reflectors. I have about £400 left in my budget which needs used up before the end of June or I'll lose it. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what kind of thing I should use the money for and also any ideas about the kind of thing astronomy clubs in schools do. It's also worth bearing in mind I'm a Chemistry teacher so without getting too technical, my knowledge is quite limited (but it is growing steadily as the weeks go by). I have access to 10MP digital cameras in school and would like to get pupils involved in some astrophotography so some help on what i might need to buy for that too would be appreciated.

Archived