Computerised Tele plus tracking motion

Question 2 - please forgive me if this is somewhere else and then please just point me in the right direction .....

Let's say I buy a computerised telescope and attach a camcorder to it, tell the telescope to view an object and then (at some point) use (what I believe is called) an 'equataurial mount' to track the object over time. Can I do that, given the right equipment?

I do hope that makes sense.

DM

It is possible to get a telescope to find and track objects, although your camcorder will play no part in the pointing.

A telescope has two main components, the mount and the optics. In a computerised telescope, it's the mount that is computerised not the optics. You can input the objects and the mount will point the optics for you. A GOTO mount will also perform tracking. Before you can perform a GOTO, the mount computer needs to know where it is, the time and its orientation. You input the first two and then align the mount to a number of astronomical objects so the mount can work out its orientation.

There are two types of mounts in general, equatorial and altitude-azimuth (Alt-Az). An equatorial mount is a mount that has one axis aligned parallel to earth's rotational axis (polar align), so it only needs to rotate one axis (right ascension) to track. An Alt-Az (up-down left-right) mount needs to track in both axis.

Archived