setting the drive speed on a cheap motor

as the skys covered and theres only so many times i can re-balance the scope on my mount i decided to test if the motor drive, which id taken of when i first set the scope up, was any good.

as accurately as i could i set the RA setting circle to 0 and switch the motor on and checked it against a stopwatch every 10 minutes for 3 hours and to my surprise it seemed to track perfectly, i then switched to south rotation and it went back as well as it did forwards.

i know theres no better timer then the stars and the setting circles on the atromaster arent great ( i had to bend the dial closer to the setting circle as there was over a 6mm gap to start ) but is this a good indidcation that its worth using??

and also it was set on full speed on the dial, i though this was odd as surely theres nothing slower than the earths rotation youd need to track, only faster things??

thanks in advance for any answers to my noob questions, im sure these wont be the last! tom

Archived