Portable scope suitable for CCD photometry?

Hi Chaps,

I'm a graduate astrophysicist and I've done a fair amount of astronomy, both on 'little' scopes and on instruments with mirrors taller than me. But, I decided it's time I stopped scrounging off my friends and buy something for myself. Not entirely a beginner, then :icon_salut:

I'm after a portable scope that I can take around with me* and I've got my eye on the WO Megrez 72. I'd like to pair it with an EQ5 mount, no tracking at the moment, but as I've got a Meade DSI lying around somewhere I might pick up an RA motor sooner or later.

So.. the question is, is there a cheaper but similarly specced combination on the market (UK)? Spec wise, 72mm seems to be the sweet spot for a rucksack scope. I've used a WO 80mm before, lovely little scope but a fraction too big for my purposes. Other options seems to be Skywatcher's Equinox 66mm and Astro Tech's 66/72mm - but no experience with either and the Megrez is only £30 more than the Equinox 66. There's also the WO ZS70 coming in January.

Budget is squarely around £350-400 for the scope (gots to leave some for the mount, eyepieces, diagonals...).

Cheers,

Josh

*by take around, I mean take to Europe on a train sans mount(!)

Archived