NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which eyepieces/filters for globular clusters/galaxies?

Hi,

Had great fun last night with my C8N-GT (1000mm/F5). Having finally cracked my alignment and GOTO issues, last night it was bang on the button for 4 solid hours of visual observing. One very happy owner :police:

Having finally been able to find and view some faint fuzzies (newbie stuff like M13, M92, M81, M82), I'd like to know what, if anything, I can do to improve my views? I do appreciate that the "seeing" and lightpollution play a large part, as does averted vision, but...

- What are the preferred eyepiece types and suitable focal lengths for the more common (not open) clusters?

- Would a filter help?

(BTW, I wear glasses.)

I don't have any real "quality" eps (yet):

- Celestron 10mm (came bundled with 80GTL)

- Vixen 15mm & 26mm Plossls (~15yrs old)

- Celestron 20mm (came with C8N)

My best quality ep is probably my Meade 42mm - BIG eyepiece, great views on Beehive and Pleides. I also have a Vixen Barlow (2x?) and a Televue 3x Barlow.

I've been considering a Burgess Optical Planetary Eyepiece for high-mag use on planets and the moon. Would it be suitable for clusters too?

Thanks (and sorry for the long post!),

Mark

Glad to see you got the mount issues sorted out Mark :police:.

I think eyepieces are one of those areas where in general you get what you pay for. The pride and joy in my case is a Baader Hyperion 8mm hand grenade. M13 in that and it's right in your face! Following on from that, my 15mm Antares W70 is the one I use the most. Kidney beans a little right at the edges but nice clear views. I wear specs too but I push mine up onto my forehead and get my eye nice 'n snug in there.

Have you thought about getting a Baader Neodynium filter? I find it darkens the sky a treat but you do lose a little detail on certain things. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But for less than £20, it's not going to break the bank if it doesn't work for you.

Archived