Seriously struggling - Meade LX90gps

Hi all,

Im new to this forum and pretty new to astronomy and would love some help if anyone has any!!

Basically I've managed to get my hands on a 10" Meade Lx90gps as stated in the title (dont ask me how, its a long story), however I'm struggling to get it aligned and the manual seems to be no help what-so-ever!!

The options for aligning are easy, one star and two star, and all begin with alignement with celestrial north. The scope is on an equitorial mount with the wedge angled towards the north star.

I then go through the process of setting the scope and the fork arms parallel and pointing towards the north star, and then tweak the fine controls on the mount so that the north star is centered. In this position the north star stays central when the fork arms are turned (is this changing the right ascension??)

This is where the problems then arise since the scope menu then slews to a random position claiming that it is arcturus and asks me to centre it, however i know for a fact that from my location arcturus is below the horizon!

The scope has gps so location, date and time data are all correct (checked them countless times). Im really stuck as to how to get this to align so if anyone has any suggestions, or has an easier / better method I'm all ears :)

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Archived