Broken tube rings

dark star

My Orion Optics UK tube rings for my 250mm reflector broke, or rather the clasp broke, it looks remarkably like plastic, in which case I am not surprised. I am otherwise very pleased with it, I got it second hand. On another thread I read that it is possible to get some Skywatcher tube rings and use the Orion Optics one as padding, so I may give this a try. I was very lucky I was right next to the telescope when it happened. I already have withdrawal symptoms so I hope I manage to fix this quickly! I posted this on the mounts forum as I wasn't sure where it should go.

David

I replaced my Orion tube rings with Skywatcher rings, using the original Orion ones as packing to fill the size difference. It's a much better combination I think, the Orion rings are wider, but the SW rings are more rigid. I drilled and screwed mine together and it works really well.

Archived