Camera For Meade 105 ETX

wycboi

Hello

Can anyone help me on my situation.

I am looking for my first camera for my Meade telescope and i have a budget of about £250 however Ebay may be my friend to make it cheaper. I understand that i need a piggy back and a ballast but i have no idea of how to start imaging.

Can anyone help with what the best type of camera would be in my price range and also the set up?

I am not a technical guy so please explain as much as possible?

Imaging the planets is done using a webcam or similar video camera and then taking a run of up to 2000 images but treating them as individual stills. They are then 'stacked' in a free programme like Registax. The result of this process is astonishing.

Deep sky images are taken either with DSLR cameras or CCD cameras through the telescope, using it simply as a lens. The long exposures needed require very accurate tracking and the Meade is not likely to give great results this way. It has a slow focal ratio making exposure times even longer and it would need tilting to the angle of your latitude using a wedge. These sound OK in theory but they are not much good in practice.

If you had a wedge for the scope you might be able to piggyback a DSLR camera on the scope and get some widefield pictures just using the scope and mount as a tracking platform for the camera.

Personally I would forget deep sky with this scope and look into webcam planetary imaging.

Olly

ollypenrice's Photos

Archived