Wavelet processing...not sure!

I do have wavelets in PixInsight but they are such a struggle to unfathom that I gave up and tried them in a Ps plugin recommended by Peter Shah. (Astra Image.)

I tried them on M81. Now wavelets to me often seem to have the same effect on everything they touch, creating a kind of 'puckered' or slightly 'shrivelled' look that instantly says 'wavelets'. I used them on the core of M81 and again found this to be the case, though in two parts of the core I found I did better than when using Unsharp Mask, my usual sharpening tool. This was in areas of fairly large scale contrast which USM tends not to find. SO I'm glad I have the wavelets option but I can only see myself using it it sparingly and on small fragments of an image where it does what I'm after.

I still like USM, which I use only as a layer and on strong signal, using various scales and intensities.

On the planets etc wavelet processing is brilliant but on DS maybe I'm missing something?

Olly

I too struggle mate with wavelets on DSO.

I use the APNR function in PI to create a reverse mask and apply it to the image before applying wavelets. This allows me to control the area it applies to.

I also use previews to try loads of settings.

Sometimes it works, as with my recent M13

Archived