Polar Alignment

Hi,

Just set up my daughters Evostar 90 refractor scope on an EQ2 mount and I was wondering if I have set the altititude bit correct. My location co-ordinates as per stellarium is approx N51 degree, so do I set the altitude to this value and just leave it once it is set?

Still trying to understand the DEC and RA adjustments and how to use these dials to locate objects.

TIA:icon_scratch:

Yes, if your latitude is ~51ºN, then adjust the latitude setting to that. You'll only need to change it if you move the mount to another location at a different latitude.

Don't bother with the setting circles to locate things - they're too small and inaccurate to be useful. Use the finderscope and starhop to your target, Turn Left at Orion can show you how.

For visual use line up the RA axis with Polaris, release both clutches and slew the 'scope to your target and reset the clutches. Locate your target in the finderscope and use the controls on both the RA and Dec axes to centre it. Now locate the target in the eyepiece and fine tune the centring.

As you continue to observe a slow, continual adjustment of the RA control will keep the target in view. You may need to adjust the Dec control occasionally.

This link shows the RA and Dec axes labelled.

The Astronomy Boy website has an Animated Eq Mount howto.

HTH :)

Archived