SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

All things being equal which is sharper?

Nexstar 6se or Orion 8xti?

Also are push to Dobsonians a pain and is it something you can nudge or push to while looking through EP?

If looking at Jupiter/Saturn at 200x through 8xti about how long will it stay in the FOV before needing to be pushed?

I prefer sharpness, color, and accuracy of planetary viewing but go to tracking may take a higher priority if I'm always having to push one style of telescope over the other.

Thanks for the advice!

If planets are your thing my own opinion is a powered mount is a very nice thing to have.  Planets tend to whizz about the eyepiece pretty fast.  I know plenty of Dob owners will give me an argument here but I find a powered mount a must have for planets.  It leaves you free to look and  take in the view without constantly having to nudge.

200x is about 1/4 degree, earth rotates at 15 deg per hour so 1/4 degree takes 1 minute.

However that is edge to edge, as we tend to place things in the centre then centre to edge is 1/8 degree so 30 seconds.

You will in effect have to move the scope within 30 seconds, likely a bit less.

Some get on with a push to others do not, unfortunately you have to buy one to find out.

The tracking of a goto is a lot easier.

For sharpness I would buy a nice ED refractor.

All things being equal the orion will be sharper. It has more aperture, no correctorplate and a smaller central obstruction. However that does not mean that all things are equal and I have no idea how the optics compare in real life.

Archived