Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Watec 120N+ Any Good?

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering buying a watec 120n+ for observing and imaging. They are currently available for £480 - £600. I used one for a while a few years ago and found that I could view far more deep sky objects than I could visually. But time and technology moves on so I just wondered if there is anything better available now.

I have a 10" Meade LX200 scope.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards

John

... depends how wedded you are to a TV monitor. Some people just use cheap sony EXview astro CCD cameras and short exposures and control and view using a netbook. I have not seen any definite comparison of the CCD vs video approach, but the cost could be cheaper and the flexibility potentially greater. As far as sensitivity is concerned there have been no revolutions.... we are nearing the physical limits now.

Cheer

PEterW

Watec is good for live-time viewing of DS objects. It's also good for some imaging, but that needs more effort in processing to get a good frame (due to low quality of single frame compared to a dedicated DS camera). For such cameras you catch a lot of short exposed frames which also has the advantage that you don't have to guide the scope.

The Watec 120N+ has unlimited integration, but beyond 256 frames (10 secs) the result is a freeze frame, not a continually updating live image.

The Watec trades resolution for sensitivity, which makes it a poor choice for imaging but a great choice for live viewing of DSOs. The increased sensitivity means that 10secs integration is usually sufficient to give great views of DSOs such as M51, M81/82 and even infamously faint M101, even with LP or moon glow. In addition polar alignment and tracking do not have to be highly accurate (although it helps if they are).

I rather resent having to boot up a computer when all I need it for is monitoring so the ability to use a monitor suits me very well.

With your 10" you should get even better results than with my small scope (although you will definitely need a focal reducer).

My only complaint really is the price - I think if they were a couple of hundred quid cheaper they would sell by the bucket load.

Tim

I've got a Watec (the earlier version where there was a limit on integration I think) and had some fun with it (before the full-blown imaging bug took hold :):rolleyes:). I got it out a couple of weeks ago thinking it might be fun to take to SGL6, but I couldn't get the video transfer adapter box to work with Windows 7 :( Can anyone recommend a way of getting the watec to talk to Windows 7?

Helen

Regarding video grabbers, I've tried the Ezcap116. It is Win7 compatible. Its cheap, but results are disappointing. The captured image on my PC screen is noticeably worse than you get on a monitor/TV. Not to be confused with the Easycap range, different company. I'm searching for something decent and affordable too.

Regards

Barry

I {{heart}} my Watec. :)

But I was so thrilled to see DSOs on screen, even with a humble MAK127, I just bought myself a TS 8" F4 Photo Newt.... In theory, giving interactive display to magnitude 16.2 (give or take). If/when I get it collimated! :(

Using "Gstar3" under XP on a Notebook to do the capturing. Currently fiddling (sic) with stacking etc. With no serious experience of imaging, I found the following book useful:

Deep-Sky Video Astronomy Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series: Amazon.co.uk: Steve Massey, Steve Quirk: Books

Without the funds, patience... or ability(!) to set the imaging world alight, this seems like great FUN! :)

I have a dazzler platinum working in win 7 64 bit laptop, got it cheap from Amazon around £40

Still not got my Samsung SDC-435 capturing as good as others have on their blogs though. It's great during the day but fiddly to get dso settings correct

I have a Mintron 12V6 and have tried a Watec 120 both on the same scope. The Watec having twice the integration gets more but at twice the price.

If you can afford the £600 for the Watec I would go for that but dont dismiss the Mintron.

I took mine to SGL6 and used it on a 5" refractor, this was going as deep as a 16" dob. In my view the Mintron is the better value and a very verstaile camera, Ive used it for guiding as well as video capture.

Philj

Archived