Taking Flats with Softbox

I have several of these softboxes which I could use if suitable. I was hoping I could use one for taking flats. Pointing the scope at one of these would give me a uniform light source with a variable intensity.

Has anyone used one, and is there anything I need to be aware of. Thanks

post-19789-133877564946_thumb.jpg

I can't tell for certain from the picture but the impression that I get (and it's only an impression!) is that there is a centre light source at the apex of the box at the rear. If this is so, I suspect that the illumination across the opal screen will not be uniform which unfortunately negates its use for taking flats.

Try it on a fresh set of images, if you get an improvement then it works!

Thanks for your replies, very helpful.

Steve... These images were taken when I adapted the softbox to use with camera flash on location. The results from Photoshop showed even all over numbers which was surprising for flash. (bottom image).

I will be using adjustable modelling lamps for the flats, so the light will be more dispersed. I will give it a go tomorrow.

post-19789-13387756554_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877565548_thumb.jpg

Archived