Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mounting my guidescope problem

I need some advice, hope you can help. I have mounted my new ST80 directly on top of my WO SZ80 using the rings that came with the ST80. Fits ok but axis is off by a long way. Must I use guide scope rings to bring it in line? If so, what size rings would I need for the ST80?

Cheers Olly. Not sure I have explained it properly. Picking a distant object I center it in the imaging scope (WOZS80). Now through the ST80 I'm some way off and there's no adjustment available as I have just used the mount rings (unadjustable) to piggy back onto the WO Rings. When I come to pick a close star to the imaging scope I'm gonna be in a different constellation if I'm out at 300 metres on a terrestial target.

Thanks Brantuk, would that not present the same problem but on a different plane? Is it not that I need to be able to point my guidescope pretty close to the same destination as the Imaging scope? HEQ5Pro btw.

I think Olly's point is that the guide scope can point/track any star as long as the software knows the target (although having one on the same dec vector helps).

If you're targeting some nebs, the nearest star that the guide scope can lock on may be to one side of it.

My current guidescope is none adjustable but as long as I can find a suitable star to guide on I don't have a problem. The guidestar may not be in the same field of view as the target but it will still be close.

That said I am currently making an adjustable guidescope set up, as much as anything because I like projects.

Archived