Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

GrantEb

Are Metcheck smoking something???

I have had the temperature forecast by Metcheck for Kent at −273°C more than once LOL.

Yeah but imagine how little noise there would be on your camera sensor!

I use Weatherbug on my phone these days. Its a nice app and the data is as good as any.

I think Metcheck have stopped smoking now and are updating every 6 hours again.

According to a mate of mine who is a weather bod, you are statistically (compared to weather forecasters) more likely to be correct if you say tomorrow will be the same as today !

understanding weather charts will give you the best idea of what kind of weather to expect, then the beeb have imrpoved their service no end recently and if you can find a local weather station this should be able to give dew points and local wind, temp etc.

My latest example of the reliability of weather websites, tonight:

Untitled.jpg

or perhaps...?

Untitled2.jpg

I think we already know which one it is more likely to be :)

I only stick to Sat24 now.

Always use Metcheck first.

Then the BBC.

Then the met office pressure charts.

I do that, choose the most optimistic one, and then end up very disappointed :)

How do you use sat24?

It only predicts 30 mins.

Do you just see if there is any cloud moving your way?

Cloud does seem to have a habit of appearing out of nowhere.

As a Met Office trained observer I guess I'm biased, but I'm not on the payroll and never have been;) But just to set the record straight, there is no other organisation/website within the UK that has the resources to provide more accurate observations/forecasts for the whole of the UK. All the info you could need is on their website you just have to know where to look for it:) That said despite all of their resources and millions spent on the latest computer modelling, forecasting remains an imprecise science:headbang: A forecast featuring showers will be for an area and not a precise location as it is simply impossible to predict too far in advance exactly where the cumulus variant cloud will choose to dump its content:icon_confused:

Satellite pics both visible (by day) and infrared at any time will give you plenty of warning of advancing cloud. But if you want to score smarty points with your missus about when to get the washing in just check out the Rainfall Radar sequence;)

Clear Skies:hello2: