SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Are Metcheck smoking something???

GrantEb

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yes indeed! It is currently telling me that I have 0% cloud and a temperature of 19*C. It's overcast, and the temperature is 13*C. However, credit where credit is due: it says the wind is 4-5mph, which it is.

I use Accuweather and Weather Underground linked to a nearby Royal Naval Air Station, but I have to sadly report that neither of them can be regarded as reliably accurate. The BBC and other media use information from the Meteorological Office but these cover large areas and weather remains stubbornly local. I get nostalgic for the days of 'From the roof of the Air Ministry' reports which prbably relied on seaweed and pine cones!

Smoking old rolled up synoptic charts maybe...:)

I gave up on Metcheck a couple of years ago too. The Met Office/BBC is best but you have to interpret a little for yourself. Here in Liverpool if we get a wind direction from the NW with 'showers clearing' forecast you can bet they continue most of the night here!

Rob.

Easy!

Look outside:rolleyes:, clear, go outside:D, not clear, don't go outside:(!

Buy new eyepiece or 'scope, don't even bother looking, it's not clear outside;)!

Have to work late, go to someone's special party, any other previously arranged something that you don't want to go to, guaranteed, it's clear:confused:!

Like I said, easy, save time, and don't check the Metcheck:clouds2:!

I've found the best way to get an accurate weather forecast is by looking out the window. Failing that Met Office: British Isles: Infrared satellite imagery can be handy for showing the endless approaching clouds up until the last hour. http://www.sat24.com/gb seems a bit more detailed though so thanks for that one :)

Archived