Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scope Upgrade - Looking for Advice

So I have up to £2,200 for a new scope including mount. I’m kitted out with pretty much everything else I need but wanted to run my thoughts by the assembled wisdom of SGL before making a fairly substantial decision.

The story so far is that l started with a Celestron 130EQ reflector just to test the water, was immediately hooked and upgraded to a Celestron NexStar 8SE. I’m now ready to take the next step, have some thoughts that I’d like you folks to critique and if I’m heading off in the wrong direction nudge me to a more appropriate heading.

So here goes, I like to look at varied objects but DSO’s are probably my main interest so I’d like a bit of aperture however, I’m pretty keen on the planets too so a nice long focal length would be handy. I like the idea of an SCT which I think fits the bill but maybe I’m wrong???

As far as SCT choice goes I enjoy the thrill of seeing something with my own eyes so I’m more inclined towards visual observation rather than imaging and that has pointed me in the direction of the AltAz mounted Celestron CPC range, which are currently good value as they are on promotion, rather than an equatorial mount. Again I’m not sure if the 9.25” or 11” would best suit me, they are within a few lbs weight of each, the 11” is obviously bulkier but should still sit seat-belted on the back seat of a car CORRECT ME IF I’M WRONG.

If you think I’d be better of with something else then let me know and I’ll investigate.

That’s as far as I’ve got, all input welcome.

Thanks

Dave

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well - the long focal length of an Sct or Mak is surely the right idea for planetary stuff. I really rate the CPC's - smashing optics, great alignment/gps utils, very intuitive software, and superb tracking. Wouldn't swop mine except for a larger one of course. I strap the 8" on the back seat with no probs - don't see why you couldn't do the same with the 925 or 1100. :)

Well - the long focal length of an Sct or Mak is surely the right idea for planetary stuff. I really rate the CPC's - smashing optics, great alignment/gps utils, very intuitive software, and superb tracking. Wouldn't swop mine except for a larger one of course. I strap the 8" on the back seat with no probs - don't see why you couldn't do the same with the 925 or 1100. :)

What about the DSO side of things? Do you think I'm heading in the right direction?

Dave

You'd benefit from a reducer for dso's - and a wedge for polar alignment which is essential for photography. But really I'd get an entirely other scope for that like a fast wide field appo of f5 or less. For observing only a large fast dob will give you great views of just about everything - and it'll be a lot cheaper :)

You'd benefit from a reducer for dso's - and a wedge for polar alignment which is essential for photography. But really I'd get an entirely other scope for that like a fast wide field appo of f5 or less. For observing only a large fast dob will give you great views of just about everything - and it'll be a lot cheaper :p

I already have a reducer and am not that fussed about photography. I like to look at varied objects including DSO’s which is why I'm looking at the larger aperture but I like to look at the planets too :) I'm after top notch all round telescope.

I live on a farm so have a reasonable dark sky but with some light pollution to the east and home is where I'll do most of my observing. I've enjoyed using the 8SE due to the fast setup which is one of my considerations and I like GoTo as I'm not an expert, we don't get that many good nights in the and it adds to my enjoyment. I like the idea of a big dob but I don't think I would use it as much as an SCT.

Finally, if I do go for a CPC, do I go 9.25 or 11? Reading numerous reviews suggests that there isn't a great difference in the views, again I stand to be corrected but the question is; is the 11 worth £500 more than the 9.25? £1,799 v £2,299 - 27% more dosh. 67.19sq" v 95.16sq" - 42% more aperture (allowance for central obstruction not included).

Your thoughts are welcome.

Dave

and to throw another spanner in the works, how about a orion optics omc 200

Isn't that f20 and no longer in production? F20 kills the idea of DSOs..

Personally I'd go for aperture with a decent f-ratio. You can then go for a mount to match it (unlike photography which will be the other way around!).

I'd keep the 8SE for planets and go for a big dob - large as you can budget for. !6" and upwards would be great. Unfortunately most people in the UK have to travel to get to dark sites nowadays cos of the light pollution :)

If you really do NEVER want to do photography Dobs are probably better for visual, especially DSO. Then get a good barlow, maybe a powermate, and you are sorted for planets too.

You give the hint you want portability to head out for the hills occasionally, I dont know if Dobs are convenient enough for that.

SCT's are considered great all-rounders, and no way would a C9.25 or C11 be a bad buy.

I get the impression you have already made your mind up and are sounding out the masses for negative you have overlooked. I dont think there is one.

Go for it!

Regards

Barry

I'd keep the 8SE for planets and go for a big dob - large as you can budget for. !6" and upwards would be great. Unfortunately most people in the UK have to travel to get to dark sites nowadays cos of the light pollution :)
What about a 14 " or even a 16" dob with goto which would cheaper than the CPC and give great views on DSO and Planets.

Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 350P FlexTube GOTO

Regards

Kevin

I do like the "idea" of a big dob but I know "me" and I'd start with grand plans and end up not using it, so the dob route is not really for me.

Dave

If you really do NEVER want to do photography Dobs are probably better for visual, especially DSO. Then get a good barlow, maybe a powermate, and you are sorted for planets too.

You give the hint you want portability to head out for the hills occasionally, I dont know if Dobs are convenient enough for that.

SCT's are considered great all-rounders, and no way would a C9.25 or C11 be a bad buy.

I get the impression you have already made your mind up and are sounding out the masses for negative you have overlooked. I dont think there is one.

Go for it!

Regards

Barry

Barry,

I think you've hit the nail on the head, I've thought this through and was expecting being pointed in the direction of an SCT on a GEM mount or a GEM mounted newtonian . I'd thought through the dob idea but it wouldn't get used so had discounted that.

So, that takes me back to the 9.25 or 11 question and I suppose the real question is; is there any reason I should choose the 9.25 over the 11? I've just nipped outside to check on the light glow and it's there to the east but not too bad but I suspect enough to eat into the 11's advantage so is it worth £500 for when I have the opportunity to go somewhere really dark?

Questions, questions......

Thanks folks

Dave

If you want DSOs then keep an eye out for the f-ratio..

My f6.38 leaves the f11.4 for dust - so much I got lost when I first got it!

TBH Nick, focal ratio isn't hugely important for visual as it is for imaging. Aperture is the daddy here :).

If you want aperture for visual and newts/dobs don't light your candle then I think you've already answered your own question :(. A lot of people swear by a fork mounted SCT because the eyepiece never at an awkward angle like a newt/GEM combo, plus SCT's are nowhere near as bulky. Maks get expensive over 6" and a large frac? Hm...

The question you've asked in your last post Dave is the real one, 9.25 or 11? I think the 9.25 isn't be the leap in aperture you're looking for over your 8". I've looked through a couple of 11" SCT's and I think if you can live with the bulk, it'll make a significant upgrade over your 8SE.

Tony..

TBH Nick, focal ratio isn't hugely important for visual as it is for imaging. Aperture is the daddy here :).

If you want aperture for visual and newts/dobs don't light your candle then I think you've already answered your own question :(. A lot of people swear by a fork mounted SCT because the eyepiece never at an awkward angle like a newt/GEM combo, plus SCT's are nowhere near as bulky. Maks get expensive over 6" and a large frac? Hm...

The question you've asked in your last post Dave is the real one, 9.25 or 11? I think the 9.25 isn't be the leap in aperture you're looking for over your 8". I've looked through a couple of 11" SCT's and I think if you can live with the bulk, it'll make a significant upgrade over your 8SE.

Tony..

Tony,

Thank you, and with that I'm off to the shop initially for a browse :) Opticstar btw

Dave

Archived