Narrowband

Tele Vue Ethos

Hi

Hope this post is in the right place, also sorry if its been asked before, seeing that Tele Vue have a deal on at the moment I was thinking of buying a couple of Tele Vue Ethos eyepieces and wanted your option on wether they are better than Naglers and worth the money to upgrade.

I have a 13mm Ethos and love it. For me this is the quintessential mid-range eyepiece and allows many/most objects to be squeezed into the field and with good magnifications and black skies. Contrast is excellent and sharpness superb. The whole field cannot really be seen at one time but you don't need to as you basically see nothing but sky.

Not used others but I'd expect them to be as good but different magnifications of course.

I see the 13mm Ethos as a deep sky eyepiece. I don't like looking at the moon or planets with it and reach for my 12.5mm Baader Genuine Ortho for this usage. To my eyes, the colour, sharpness and contrast of the BGO are just a little sharper although the field obviously a lot smaller - does not matter for the stated use. I feel the BGO is a little closer to 'true' (i.e. it's a little whiter than the general 'slightly yellowish' tones seen with a number of TV eyepieces).

Would I buy another Ethos? No. Would I buy the 13mm Ethos again? Yes!

Personally, I think that the higher magnification ones don't need the field and the lower magnification ones are more then covered by other eyepieces. I have a 26mm Nagler which has the same field as the 21mm Ethos (approx) but is half the price and great for wider field and works superbly in tandem with the 13mm Ethos.

Would a 13mm Nagler be wonderful too? Yes! I would have no major problem selling my 13mm Ethos and buying a 13mm Nagler if I ever needed the cash difference.

I am sure others will have differing views but there's mine.

I've owned most of the Naglers and currently the 6mm, 8mm and 13mm Ethe. I'd say that the Ethe are a step up from the Naglers, albeit a small one but thats the way it goes when you reach the higher price tiers with eyepieces - the gains get smaller :)

Whether the performance gains are worth the extra investment is a question that only you can answer I'm afraid :p

Are they better than the Naglers, Yes. A step sharper with more contrast. However as noted they aren't exactly cheap so so you do have to think long and hard about buying one.

Another way to look at it is this is a hobby after all and you don't NEED any of these fancy eyepieces, but if it gives you a bit more enjoyment to look through high end eyepieces and you can afford it....why not. :)

John

Just do it, I did.

Especially with the offer thats on at the moment. Sadly I cannot justify anymore unless they come up with a 5mm 110 degree fov version :) but then it wouldnt beat my XO anyway.

OK anyone got the 21 Ethos ??? I have the 20T5 - same magnification and 20T6 - same field. I dont intend selling either. Does the 21E really add that much to this line up ???

As shockingly good as the 13E is, I find it hard to look thru for extended periods.

OK anyone got the 21 Ethos ??? I have the 20T5 - same magnification and 20T6 - same field. I dont intend selling either. Does the 21E really add that much to this line up ???

As shockingly good as the 13E is, I find it hard to look thru for extended periods.

I have never looked through a 21E but have a 26N and David Nagler was discussing with Mark (at Beaufort) whether to change from his 26N to the 21E. DN was of the view that if you have a 26N then there's not much gain with a 21E but maybe this is different with the 20-22Ns? I suspect not really though but as has been said, you pays yer money and takes yer choice!:)

21E would make the 26T5 + 20T5 combo redundant. The 21E gets the best of both worlds - similar TFOV as 26T5 and similar mag as 20T5. But ....sometimes its nice to have choices of magnification. 21E is also not fully corrected by paracorr-I. Also somehow the smaller TFOV is easier to view for extended periods, for me at least. Look ...I am just struggling here, the 21E is calling.

Thanks for the input, think I will have to give one maybe two a go, time will tell if I get carried away when ordering :)

Already have a selection naglers 9, 16, 22 & 31, I can see a easy space for the 13 and might go for the 17 as I do love 2" eyepieces

Again thanks for the input and time to see how much I put on the plastic :(

Seeing as you already have the 16 nag and 22 nag if you bought the 13 nag then the 16 nag would be made redundant. Also for me the 17 ethos is too close to the 13 to be useful. Best to step up to the 21.

Al Nagler envised that people would get them in sets of 3, either 6, 10 & 17 or 8, 13 & 21.

Your 31 nag will never be redundant even if you get a 21mm ethos, I have both.

If I was you I would get the 13 and 21 ethos and sell the 16 and 22 to fund it.

For medium to low powers I have Ethos 13 - Nagler T5 20 - Nagler T5 31. I often find myself skipping between the E13 and the N31 without the N20 getting a look in though :)

I've also heard of those who sold their N31's when they got an E21 and regretted it.

Thanks for that, I know what you are saying, I know you have a tendency to favour certain eyepieces over others. I was only buying a couple because I could not see them ever getting as cheap as that again unless the pound made 2 dollars then you would have to bring it in from the states. Again thanks for the advise.

David Nagler was discussing with Mark (at Beaufort) whether to change from his 26N to the 21E. DN was of the view that if you have a 26N then there's not much gain

i did have a conversation with David N and I explained the scopes that I had and the Ethos and Naglers that I used. David advised me that the FOV of the 21mm Ethos and 26mm Nagler were similar and that the sky in the Ethos would be slightly darker. He said it was really a matter of whether I wanted to spend an extra 300 pounds to gain this small improvement - S/H value of 26mm Nagler against new price of the Ethos.

In the end I did not feel that it was worth the extra expense - my 26mm Nagler is really good.

However, if I was starting off with my current knowledge and had the funds I would buy the 8mm, 13mm and 21mm Ethos.

Mark

Well after I made a decision on which eyepieces to go for , I thought I would have a quick check on eBay to see if any were on there and would you believe a nice 13 mm ethos was on there which I managed acquire at a great price, this arrived yesterday and looks like brand new :) so fingers crossed I get a chance to use it over the weekend

Archived