Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

celestron or skywatcher

hi,

bit on my background: i've been interested in astronomy for a long time, can find my way around the skies with a pair of binoculars, can find my way around the seas with the skies using a sextant :), and an avid hobby photographer. up until now, i've never really had the time to get a telescope.

now, my g/f is also interested in getting into astronomy and has decided to get me a telescope for my birthday (yup, she's a keeper). price range about 150€, so i've come up with two telescopes that look more about right.

we want to be able to have a look at DSO, planets (she wants to see saturn's rings), i'd like to use it for beginning astrophotography at some point.

the two scopes i'm looking at:

Celestron PowerSeeker 127 EQ

Skywatcher Explorer 130 w/EQ-2 mount

both cost about the same, both can be equipped with a tracking motor and T2 adapter to hook up my nikon.

so, which one should i suggest to my g/f to get as a "surprise"? or should it be something different?

thanks, regards,

sb

Hi binabik,

I can't comment on the Celestron but the Skywatcher is what I currently have. The scope itself is very good as a starter scope but you may struggle getting good views of DSO's simply because of the apertur size. My warning though is for the mount. The EQ2 is not terribly steady and would be useless for astrophotography, I upgraded mine to an EQ5 which would cost about £230 new, however the difference is huge

I'm guessing both those scopes are as good as each other to be honest, but i think Skywatcher could just edge it, seems to be more sold (just look on here almost everyone has or had a skywatcher 130) so s/hand market is good, seems to be more equipment for Skywatcher, both have a good name so whatever you decide will be good.

I have 2 Skywatcher scopes and very pleased with both, i started with the 130 and EQ2 mount but have since upgraded it to a goto, like i said more equipment for Skywatcher so you can upgrade all day, use it as much now as i did a year ago when i first bought it (s/hand), so for me Skywatcher gets a thumbs up

Hi there

I have an explorer 130 eq2 and it came with eq2 drive.

And i am happy with it, it is a starter scope it blew me away the picture the moon and saturn(when i new where it was).

I would however skywatcher eyepieces are good for telescopes, i would however go for GSO 8 beleive i know they cost half the telescopes (£109.99) wow they make a difference!.

hello and welcome, I don't know much about celestron but i bought a skywatcher 150pl and i'm well happy with it. It only cost £239 brand new complete with tripod, eq3-2 mount, 25mm ,10mm ep's and 2x barlow. A bargain buy. there is also a lot of accessories and upgrades for them.

good luck

Adamski

Hi, I've noticed that First Light Optics are selling the new Skywatcher 130M. The 'M' meaning that it comes with a motor already installed and I believe it is a similar price to those on your list - might be worth checking it out.

James

i dont know about the 127 eq, but i have an astromaster 130 eq, and i have just found out that a dslr will not focus because there is not enough back travel on the focusser.

Therefore think before you buy! im glad someone pointed it out to me only yesterday - its prompted me to sell it and get a new lot in.

having said that, the celestron scope and eyepieces, and mount were, for a complete novices point of view, very good. did the job very nicely, and some nice views of saturn. BE aware tho that fast F ratios (lower numbers) give smaller images, which is good for DSO's, but not so good for planets. Find a combo that suits you!

hope this helps

tom

thanks, everybody for the welcome and the comments. looks like it will be the skywatcher to start off with. and upgrades to follow later.

going to an open telescope night next week here at uni (where i work) w/my g/f. should be interesting.

regards,

sb

I noticed the huge difference in focal length between the regular and parabolic version of the SW 130, but I'm curious to know the applications of the the specs?

The parabolic one would supposedly give clearer images eliminating (Or minimising) SA, but it is harsher on the EPs, i.e. you'd need much smaller pieces to get the potiental of he scope. Is this really better? :S

Good choice on the skywatcher, they make great products. Have fun at the open evening, I always enjoy meeting like minded people when I am out gazing.

Karlos parabolic mirrors are always better, but you are right they need better eyepieces. But using eyepieces that are below standard is counter productive anyway, unless you are an imager. Then you would want a fully optically correct scope anyways... ha ha it goes on.

Archived