Narrowband

Canon 1100D

russ

DP Review have posted an in-depth review of the new Canon 1100D.

I have to say it's a bit of a lukewarm reception for a Canon DSLR. They are normally raving about a new Canon release. But it looks like Canon may have fallen a little behind in some areas in the budget segment. And shock horror, both Nikon and Pentax beat it for high ISO performance. And the build quality is a step down from the 1000D. Plus some odd button changes.

Still sounds a real solid choice for astro but perhaps not the first choice for normal photography.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1100d/

It looks like it's using the same sensor setup as the 450d, with a digic iv processor... could be good. And I guess with the lightweight materials in the body, that has to be a bonus, although at 495g without battery, I'm not sure it's that much lighter.

Although the 450d has been superceded... in fact, it looks like it's getting increasingly hard to get hold of what with the 500d, 550d and 600d in the same range.. I used that as an example, as I have one.

If you can do without the movie mode, you can get the 450D secondhand for a more reasonable price.

Indeed, that's exactly what I've just done!

The reason I compared them is they have similar prices to buy new. If buying new, I'd probably have gone for the 1100d

Looks like the Digic 4 processor is working well in the 1100D giving a cleaner image than the 450D.

My main worry with the 1100D is the camera has to serve as our main camera for daytime too and that poor finish with smooth plastic finish doesn't appeal at all. I ran into this problem with the 350D when upgrading from the 300D. It was an unpleasant little camera to hold, especially after the 300D. The shop wouldn't take it back unless faulty....lo and behold the following day it developed a fatal fault. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Russ,

I also don't like the smooth finish of the 1100D. If I were using it for normal daytime imaging it would be a concern. If I were using it for astro imaging instead, it would not be a problem riding in a telescope focuser. The attractiveness of the 1100D is that based on dark frame noise testing I have done, it may be the Canon model with the lowest noise level for long exposure imaging to date. I recently completed a Baader filter modification for the T3 and added detailed modification instructions here:

http://garyhonis.com//rebelmod450d1.html

One challenge for modifying the 1100D that earlier models did not have is that Canon has glued both internal filters inside the same plastic frame, making it more difficult to remove the frontmost filter without damaging it.

Gary

Archived