Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 200p Dobsonians

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Skywatcher Skyliner 200p Dobsonian telescopes have finally arrived! We have enougth to clear all backorders :p

Another delivery is due next week so the UK's most popular Dobsonian telescope is definitely back on the menu!

DOBSKY200.jpg

Thank-you for your patience :)

Such a good 'scope; there's going to be a lot of happy people (and clouds no doubt).

You'll probably get a rush of ep & accessory orders next few weeks!

After getting & using the 32mm Panaview, I find it excellent but I'm now wondering if the exit pupil is too much for me.

As I'm after something in the 13-14mm region, I'm not sure wether to:

A) sell the 32mm and get a 26mm Panaview and a Barlow.

Or

:p keep the 32mm Panaview and get either a 13mm Hyperion or a 14mm Meade 5000 sp

Decisions decisions :)

After getting & using the 32mm Panaview, I find it excellent but I'm now wondering if the exit pupil is too much for me.

The exit pupil is 5.3mm in the Skyliner 200p so it is not too large. If you are you are enjoying the eyepiece then I suggest you keep it.

What eyepieces do you currently own?

This might help, it shows the FOV (actual area of sky) covered by the eyepieces mentioned when used with the Skyliner 200p. The 14mm Meade Series 5000 Super Plossl and Hyperion 13mm cover a similar area of sky. The Meade is more compact and convenient but the Hyperion is part of a modular system so will appeal if you plan some afocal photography. We don't offer the TS Planetarys.

HTH,

Steve

post-12699-133877564199_thumb.jpg

Hunter I have heard that barlowing a wide angle eyepiece is not often the best way. I think Steve's advice about a hyperion would be great. The hyperion has a much wider view and so with out manual dobs this is a blessing.

Hunter I have heard that barlowing a wide angle eyepiece is not often the best way. .

Hi Adam

That will depend on the quality of the eyepiece and the Barlow.

With high quality eyepieces and Barlows there is no difference between them and med - high power eyepieces alone.

Regards Steve

... I have heard that barlowing a wide angle eyepiece is not often the best way.

Modern wide-field eyepieces have what are essentially tele-extenders/barlows built in, that is how they achieve their long eye-relief and comfort. For that reason they don't lend themselves to being barlowed again. Barlows are best used with simpler designs like Plossls, Orthoscopics and Kellners.

Having said that, like most problems and limitations, if you throw enough money at them they go away...

HTH :)

This might help, it shows the FOV (actual area of sky) covered by the eyepieces mentioned when used with the Skyliner 200p. The 14mm Meade Series 5000 Super Plossl and Hyperion 13mm cover a similar area of sky. The Meade is more compact and convenient but the Hyperion is part of a modular system so will appeal if you plan some afocal photography. We don't offer the TS Planetarys.

HTH,

Steve

Thanks so much for your help, I'm leaning towards the 13mm Hyperion. What's it's FL in 1.25" form?

Someone linked to Baader's website yesterday but I couldn't get my head round it.

Thanks so much for your help, I'm leaning towards the 13mm Hyperion. What's it's FL in 1.25" form?

Someone linked to Baader's website yesterday but I couldn't get my head round it.

The Hyperion eyepieces are 1.25" format essentially so it will be 13mm it's FL changes if you add the extension rings or remove the bottom lens elements.

Regards Steve

Another delivery is due next week so the UK's most popular Dobsonian telescope is definitely back on the menu!

Unfortunately we have sold out again :(

The next delivery is due early May.

There has been more angst over the supply of this model than any other. Unfortunately, other than ordering as many as we can when they arrive, we have no control over it's availability.

To all those affected by these delays, thank-you for your patience :)

Get in there!!! Best scope for the money, a delight to use and will show you almost everything.Get some Turtlewax and rub on a layer to the base plate facing the Teflon pads , then apply and rub off again, you'll find it'll turn a treat.

Ditch the supplied lenses and get some decent ones. Thoroughly ace scope, oh, then join the Dob users group!!

Hey guys, I'm definately going for a Skywatcher dobsonian and just for the thrill of the views.. Zero astrophotography.. I have grand ideas about a 12" flexi, but I wonder... Is it just possible that I would enjoy a more humble scope such as this -just as much- in the 'real world'..?

No Celestine, the 12" Flextube is an absolute joy. The optics are good, the "push to" movement of the mount smooth and easy, the views fantastic. I owned one for 18 months before upgrading to a 14".

The 8" will be good, but a 12" Flextube will be great!

Tom

Stick with the 12" flextube if you can handle it. You might need help shifting it unless you plan to have it in a fixed location. It's quite heavy even in two individual bits. But it will be far superior to the 8" as far as the views are concerned :)

Archived