SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi there

OneSG

Hi everyone. I am a newbie and know ziltch about astronomy.

I purchased a new 8" Celestron on a very large mount 3-4 years ago and it has not, as yet, been outside. I diidn't know about collimation or anything about setting up a scope. I purchased a laser collimator this week and I have been trying to understand how to go about things. The instructions I had with my scope were very basic and explained nothing really. I have a planisphere, which also came this week , and I have been trying to understand what I am looking at in the night sky.

I am currenty negotiating for a new 12" Celestron Dobsonian FlexTube. This may be easier for me to handle.

I live in North Wales and the night sky here is abosolutely fantastic. I don't have the light polution suffered by city dwellers.

There is no Astronomy club close to where I live as far as I know so, hopefully, I will be able to pick the brains of the more experienced on the forum.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome,

I'm a newbie too and i was directed to astrobabies for help with collimation and found it easy enough to follow. the site also has infomation on other related topics.

good luck,

Adamski

Hi there Spikey.

The places you mention are quite some distance from me. When I say "quite some distance" it is about 40 miles off. I live on the very tip of the Llyn Peninsula near Aberdaron. PM me before your next visit and maybe we can arrange a meet. If you have a touring caravan there are some good sites here. The fishing is good too, if you fish

Archived