sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Favourite non-Messier objects?

Hello,

I think that all of the messier objects get all the glory, as they are the most well known of the DSO’s. I was thinking that there must be a lot of other wonderful objects out there that may be not be as bright, (exceptions being the Hyades, the double cluster etc.), but are more interesting and aesthetically pleasing, rather than most galaxies in Virgo for example, not having any real distinctive shape or character.

Limiting yourselves to the northern hemisphere, what are your favourite, or most memorable non-Messier DSO’s?

(I would also like to get some ideas of what good non-Messier objects there are to observe as I have mainly focused on Messier objects in my short time in owning a scope.)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur with Demonperformer about Berenice's Hairclip (NGC 4565) -- (point of pedantry: it's Com, not CBe), -- Hobbes about Kemble's Cascade and Moonshane about the ET Cluster (NGC 457). The Coathanger (Cr399) and always manages to raise a smile, and the Perseus Double Cluster (C14, NGCs 869 & 884) is superb in big binocs.

One bit of serendipity: Years ago, I used a GOTO to seek out NGC 4656 instead of 4565 (misremembered the number) only to find that it makes a nice pair of edge-on galaxies with NGC 4631 -- just a pair of streaks of light in a big binoc field.

Then, beautiful in their own right are Albireo and Hind's Crimson Star (R Lep) when it is near maximum.

Galaxy NGC 891 is superb from a dark site. Love the Veil too.
Hi Laurie

I must admit to have a bit of a soft spot for NGC 4565 - edge on spiral in CBe.

These are some of my fav non-Messier objects too. The Veil last summer was simply stunning from a dark site using a large aperture scope, good quality 2" widefield eyepiece and OIII filter.

I also like seeing NGC3077 in the same field as M81/M82. And NGC3628 which makes up the Leo Triplet with M65/M66.

Also, the Double Cluster (NGC884 & NGC869) has to be one of the most stunning sights.

Edited by russ
Also, the Double Cluster (NGC884 & NGC869) has to be one of the most stunning sights.

My favourite, even when Messier objects are included.

Hi Laurie, excellent question, one for me that stands out although very small is NGC 7662 The Blue Snowball :) A planetary Nebula in Andromeda.

Very nice.

I like open clusters, so NGC 7789.

These are some of my fav non-Messier objects too. The Veil last summer was simply stunning from a dark site using a large aperture scope, good quality 2" widefield eyepiece and OIII filter........

........Also, the Double Cluster (NGC884 & NGC869) has to be one of the most stunning sights.

Russ has picked a couple of my absolute favourites as it happens :)

Despite being transient and rare objects, I've also loved seeing the only 2 Supernovae, one in 2009 and one earlier this year, that I've seen since I've been in the hobby :p

Despite being transient and rare objects, I've also loved seeing the only 2 Supernovae, one in 2009 and one earlier this year, that I've seen since I've been in the hobby :)

I've not seen one yet :p

All three parts of the Veil nebula through a pair of 30x100 APM binos and UHC filters, simply jaw dropping.

What about Markarian's chain? I know that contains M84 and M86 but there are numerous other NGC galaxies in a long row. I had a memorable view scanning back and forth through Owen's 15" obsession from Salisbury Plain last week and it was absolutely stunning!

Veil Nebula under dark skies with a 16", 28mm Uwan and O111 filter simply awesome.

Same object, same place, same scope, same filter but with 31mm T5 Nagler =Same result. Breathtaking

Steve

Edited by swamp thing

I've said this plenty times, but I agree with others re: the Veil Nebula and OIII filter. Probably my favourite object from any catalogue. Stunning sight. Can't wait till it comes round again.

Surprised no-one has mentioned the White Rose cluster, NGC 7789. Having only seen it with a 120mm scope, it's not yet my favourite object, but I can imagine it's fantastic with aperture.

I saw NGC 4565 with a 10" at Kielder. Whoof! That image still haunts me! Brilliant object, and I still struggle to believe that was only a 10".

Andrew

As others have said, Veil Nebula with an OIII most definitely. That's a sight that stays with you forever.

Blue Snowball NGC 7662 in Andromeda (already mentioned) and NGC 2392 in Gemini are a couple of planetary nebulae that I think are really worth seeking out.