Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cak scopes?

Hello to all!

I am new to the site & am a pst viewer & love the scope. I am really curious about the cak scopes (Lunt, Coronado?) any advice from owners or any experienced observers. Many thanks for time and advice!

The Coronado PST CaK is no longer available AFAIK - you might be able to pick one up second hand, though.

The Lunt CaK diagonals work well - if you have a decent refractor up to 4" / 100mm aperture and with a 2" focuser.

Thanks Brian!

I was looking @ the dedicated Lunt cak scope but I havent got a night scope, still trying to decide!?

Is it possible to use a maksutov / smict cassegrain with a cak filter?

Cheers again!

Is it possible to use a maksutov / smict cassegrain with a cak filter?

No - the full solar power arrives at the front side of the CaK diagonal and you will fry the secondary mirror for sure.

The Baader CaK filter has too wide a bandwidth to be useful, the view it gives is essentially the same as white light.

I take it you're aware that most people see very little in CaK, which is very close to being ultraviolet. I see nothing at all ... until I hang a camera on the scope instead of an eyepiece.

Lunt sell a 60mm scope with a CaK diagonal ready fitted ... this works; the diagonal can be replaced with a normal star diagonal for "night" observations.

Archived