Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

johnh

Saturn 12th April-vgood seeing briefly

SPX350 F34.2, PGRFlea3, Astrodon filters.

Seeing was fair to good and showed potential but would not settle until a spell where red was still for the full 80secs giving the best image which I resized 125%, blue and green were pretty good also.

Image1-1305hrs

Image2-1344hrs - best.

Image3-1437hrs

Image4-Image2 resized 125pc

Thanks, John.

post-15219-13387756355_thumb.png

post-15219-133877563562_thumb.png

post-15219-13387756358_thumb.png

post-15219-133877563594_thumb.png

• Like 1

Super detail in the NTZ ... just one interesting observation, the rings seem to encroach on the disk where they pass behind at the top right - this must be an artifact of some sort!

I know what you mean about variable seeing; but 8 sec of "good" is more than I ever seem to get!

WOW!!! That's truly brilliant :p Well done :)

Now that is really something to aspire to!! :p

Regards

Gina

Great results again John nicely processed aswell,

on Brians point i have noticed this aswell mostly on top right of Saturn pics

but seems slightly evident on top left of ur pics aswell, slight indentation of rings into planet almost,

i think ? this is possibly to do with shadow cast by planet on rings which shouldn't be that noticeable at the minute near opposition

a few weeks ago the gap/shadow was easy to spot on right hand side

cheers James

WOW that last resize really gets you in close on all that cloud detail. I just still cant belive my eyes sometimes. 2 things, 1 the amount of cloud detail on saturn this year. ( unprecedented ) 2 your captures and rendition of those clouds are just Sublime. It almost seems wrong to be seeing saturns clouds like this. its just something in all my years. im not accustomed to seeing. I would say your strength is bringing these clouds to life. I notice the second time, ( ill lose count soon no doubt ) the cassini going clean all the way around. thats really not too easy either. These i think ( all of them ) are the best Saturn images EVER taken with a OO scope Period. Those clouds are just so amazing. Nice one John

Edited by neil phillips

Thanks all, this may have been the best seeing I've had and it was only lasted a few minutes and I noticed the Cassini in the front rings too like in D Peaches high bar image but I suspect he may have been imaging at 14+ meters in perfect conditions? The dark indents either side of disc in back rings have had every time, better processing could reduce them but not sure what causes them, may be processing artifacts.

Had another night of good seeing but it deteriorated so quickly to 4-5/10 with no focus possible. Got a matching IR742 as well.

Thanks, John.

post-15219-133877564112_thumb.png

post-15219-133877564126_thumb.png

The dark indents either side of disc in back rings have had every time, better processing could reduce them but not sure what causes them, may be processing artifacts.

Thanks, John.

.....seem to be a feature of a lot of images of late (more or less pronounced to one side of the disk)

I suspect processing probably enhances its appearance, but it is quite common at present.

Outstanding. A great set of images. Good storm detail in th eIR as well. You should try an IR RGB.

regards

Peter

Cracking pics! Is it just me or does the outer edge of the rings appear to be straight where it crosses in front of the planets disc? Is that a common optical foible? Just a question from a curious noob :)

Thanks all, yes the ring cuts straight across the disc rather than curve slightly owing to angle and results of sharpening to show storm as well as contrast interaction with disc, when the rings open up more its curve will be pronounced and Saturn will look more spherical as the discs pole shows.

John.

Lovely shots John. I was getting that same indent but now it's gone again (fingers crossed) No idea why except that it was definitely in the captures.

LOvely images - some amazing turbulence going on in there.

d

Wow.. great images. I'm struggling to just have the Cassini Gap show up in my shots, let alone all the detail that you are capturing.. :)