SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DIY digital camera adaptor

Lux1

Here is my camera adaptor made from a steel bracket, a tool/pipe clip and two M8 nuts and bolts. All for the princely sum of £1 from the local hardware store.

I had contemplated buying an adaptor, but couldn't find one commercially for less than £20 so I thought it would be an easy thing to make. So easy it took less than 10 minutes.

Coupled with my GOTO mount and ability to track I may even get some nice photos now!:)

post-20202-133877563209_thumb.jpg

I just used an old aspirin container as an adaptor for my first afocal attempt last night. Just cut out the bottom and it fits the camera and 20mm ep quite good. May make a deluxe version by gluing some felt on the inside to get a tighter fit.:)

post-25022-133877563636_thumb.jpg

post-25022-133877563644_thumb.jpg

Alan, -what happens if the battery dies or the camera tries to retract the lens, I found with my aspirin holder the camera landed up on the floor a few times.

Also the motorised lens can be easily damaged by hanging a weight off or supporting something on it's nose.

I guess you have worked around those problems.

Not come across those problems as I only used it for 5 minutes. I did wonder about the camera rorating when using the zoom, and I suppose an automatic power down could be problematic. Looks like a visit to the big orange store is required - probably cheaper than a repeat prescription anyway!:)

Alan, -what happens if the battery dies or the camera tries to retract the lens, I found with my aspirin holder the camera landed up on the floor a few times.

Also the motorised lens can be easily damaged by hanging a weight off or supporting something on it's nose.

I guess you have worked around those problems.

a little tip here regarding the camera shutting down, most point an shoot camera`s have a setting to not power down, but the default setting is to turn of after about 2 mins, i set mine to NOT turn of

• 3 months later...

Hi Lux1, a nice DIY project on a great budget. Like you, I can't see anything under £20 and was looking for a simple solution. Your £1 project has inspired me to make something that safely holds the camera in situe.

Out of interest has anyone ever tried one of those gorilla tripods with any success, I do have one of those in a draw somewhere ...

Archived